Robbie Fulks is a cutting edge performer in the alt-country music scene. He began his career working for the Nashville songwriting mills (for which he penned a tribute lovingly entitled "Fuck This Town"), but quickly became disenchanted with the lack of opportunity accorded to acts with any real spirit or individuality.

He eventually had to relocate to Chicago to get his material released. Signing with Bloodshot Records, he has released a series of albums encompassing many different styles (rockabilly, traditional country, rock, bluegrass), but remaining faithful to his country roots.

In the process, he has created some of the more memorable songs and characters in country music today. From the stalker plotting murder in "I Just Want to Meet the Man" to his paean to atheism "God Isn't Real", you're not going to hear anything like it on mainstream radio.

Given the pathetic state of mainstream country music today (see: Shania Twain, Garth Brooks, et. al.), his music comes across as a politically incorrect breath of fresh air. This is highly recommended music for anyone that appreciates roots rock and other traditional music forms.

For anyone new to his music, the best place to start would be his "Best of" album. It covers a wide range of styles and includes some of his more humorously acerbic material. Be advised that this isn't really a "best of" album. It's a collection of his work that's appeared on various compilations as well as some unreleased and out of print material (i.e. "Fuck This Town" is not on the album).


Discography:

  • 1996 - Country Love Songs (Bloodshot)
  • 1997 - South Mouth (Bloodshot)
  • 1998 - Let's Kill Saturday Night (Geffen)
  • 1999 - The Very Best of Robbie Fulks (Bloodshot)
  • 2000 - 14 Hillbilly Giants (Bloodshot)
  • 2001 - Couples in Trouble (Bloodshot)

    Sources

  • http://robbiefulks.com
  • http://allmusic.com
  • Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.