Dr. Robert L. Forward is a scientist, lecturer and science fact and hard science fiction writer. He is the owner and chief scientist of Forward Unlimited, a consulting firm specializing in exotic physics and advanced space propulsion. He also occupies similar positions in Tethers Unlimited, Inc. (www.tethers.com), specializing in space tethers with over $3 million in contracts from NASA and USAF.

1954 B.S. in physics, University of Maryland
1958 M.S. in applied physics, UCLA
1962 established Forward Unlimited
1965 Ph.D. in gravitational physics, University of Maryland (For his Ph.D. thesis, he built and operated the world's first bar antenna for the detection of gravitational radiation. The antenna is now at the Smithsonian museum.)
1956-1987 worked at the Hughes Aircraft Company Research Labs
1980 published Dragon's Egg, his best-known science fiction novel
1987 left Hughes to engage in writing and consulting under his own company
1994 formed the Tethers Unlimited partnership with Dr. Robert P. Hoyt

Dr. Forward has written over 150 technical publications, over 70 popular science articles, 11 short stories, 11 hard science fiction novels and has been awarded 20 patents.

He is a Fellow of the British Interplanetary Society, Associate Fellow of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, and a member of the American Physical Society, Sigma Xi, Sigma Pi Sigma, National Space Society, Mars Society, Science-Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, and Authors Guild.

Source: His home page at www.whidbey.com/forward/

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.