Robert is best known for his role as Kryten in the BBC series Red Dwarf, which he has performed since 1989. He also can be seen presenting the Channel 4 show Scrapheap Challenge and its spin offs. For those lucky enough to have seen him perform on the stage they will know that he is also a gifted writer and stage actor - having written many plays such as the award winning 'Mammon, Robot Born Of Woman'.

Robert Llewellyn was born on the 10th March 1956, in Northampton, England. He moved around various Midlands schools until he was expelled at 16. This acted as a catalyst for Robert to pull himself together and he quickly became a hippy craftsman. He graduated through rune-decorated leather work and lived in various squats until stepping onto the stage at 25. He now lives in England with his wife (Judy Pascoe) and their two children.

He has been writing all his life, his first novel - 'The Case Of The Brocen Lok' being completed when he was 9 (unfortunately this never made it to print). His first published novel - 'The Reconstructed Heart' - hit the shelves in 1992. His next book - 'The Man in The Rubber Mask' - gave a detailed and witty insight into the making of Red Dwarf from an actors point of view:

'It tells the story of how yours truly went from being a penniless Thespian on stage in the Edinburgh Festival in 1988, to being zooshed through Hollywood in an embarrassing stretch limo in 1992. Four years which utterly changed my life as I went from unknown fringe actor to unknown TV star. It's funny, highly personal (one section deals with having plaster casts made of parts of my body other than my head) and quite silly.'

These books, as well as 'Thin He Was and Filthy Haired' are now all out of print and are becoming increasingly difficult to obtain.

The next book released was 'The Man On Platform 5'. The book is based very loosely on George Bernard Shaw's 'Pygmalion' (which became the movie 'My Fair Lady'). The book tells of two half sisters; posh, English and over privileged, who make a bet on a rather sad looking character they see on a train station (platform 5). The more caring of the sisters feels that he can be transformed into someone that anyone would fancy, and so sets about trying to transform him. This results in a romp through the British class system with a smattering of sex (not too much though). This is now being developed into a film.

These have been followed up with 'Punchbag', 'Sudden Wealth', and the most recent novel - 'Brother Nature'.

His website - www.llew.co.uk promotes his work, as well as allowing access to LLTV - small clips and mini movies, made by Robert and friends, which are only available over the internet. This is part of BwebB - which Robert set up in 2002 to promote high quality video content over the internet. This uses the Akamai network (the one used to stream the Star Wars trailer a few years ago) to aid in the streaming. Through this you can view British comedians trying out new things for free. The site also has his online novel, 'Blue Helmet', which he has been working on for many years, it is currently up to chapter 8.

Full List of Acting and Writing Credits through 2003: Acting:

Writer - filmography

TV appearances:

  • "Bob Downe Show, The" (2000) playing "Himself" (episode # 1.14) 11 March 2001
  • "Space Cadets" (1997) playing "Himself" (episode # 1.9) 9 September 1997
  • "Red Dwarf" (1988) playing "Able 2X4C" in episode: "Beyond a Joke" (episode # 7.6) 21 February 1997
  • "Captain Butler" (1997) playing "Admiral Nelson" in episode: "Kiss Me Harder" (episode # 1.2) 10 January 1997
  • "Joking Apart" (1991) playing "Tom" (episode # 1.4) 1993
  • "Bottom" (1991) playing "Falklands War vet" in episode: "Parade" (episode # 2.4) 22 October 1992
  • "Boon" (1986) playing "Mr Fenton" in episode: "Walkout" (episode # 7.3) 22 September 1992
  • "KYTV" (1989) playing "Phil" in episode: "KY Tellython" (episode # 2.1) 17 March 1992
  • "Murder Most Horrid" (1991) playing "taxi driver" in episode: "Mrs Hat and Mrs Red" (episode # 1.6) 19 December 1991
  • "Alas Smith & Jones" (1984) (episode # 6.2) 1990
  • "Birds of a Feather" (1989) playing "Tory candidate" in episode: "You Pays Yer Money" 1990
  • "Alas Smith & Jones" (1984) (episode # 6.6) 1990
  • "Alas Smith & Jones" (1984) (episode # 6.4) 1990
  • "Red Dwarf" (1988) playing "Jim Reaper" in episode: "The Last Day" (episode # 3.6) 19 December 1989

Sources - http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/S/scrapheap/show/Robert.html http://www.llew.co.uk/ http://www.imdb.com/ All the books mentioned above.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.