The expression, "rock out with your cock out," is one which implies uninhibitedly free rockin' -- and you'd have to be pretty damn uninhibited to liberate your Richard Peter Johnson at a public music performance. Despite the smooth, intuitive rhythm of the phrase, it doesn't seem to go back earlier than 1985, the year in which its creation is credited to no less a luminary of funkadelia than George Clinton.1

A less catchy feminine countercall used by some 90s femme rockers, is "jam out with your clam out." This doesn't really work, first because "rock out" comes more readily to the tongue than does "jam out" (for which the "out" seems superflous, a la Bob Marley teaching us that "we be jammin'").... and because "clam" is a much less common analogue for the vagina than cock is for the penis ("suck my clam!!" -- really?).... And because no one really does anything with their clam "out" -- a released cock can be swung around like a motherfucking baseball bat; a clam? Well, it just sort of.... reposes there, contemplating its clamminess. And a clammy clam is one sad Sam.

But in the end (and in the end is the only place that counts), the expression ultimately pays no more than metaphorical lip service to the concept embodied therein, for though men might take the hint to rock out with exceptional abandon, few may be claimed to actually publicly unveil their sexual organs while performing or enjoying rock music.

----

Vincent, Rickey, Funk: The Music, the People, and the Rhythm of the One, page 300 of 375, 1996:
"Their style and attitude is exquisitely funky, as their LP producer in 1985, George Clinton, put it: "rock out with your cock out, and play like you got a big dick."
----

FERRASSIC


Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.