In the Transformers cartoon series, Rodimus Prime is the leader of the Autobots after Optimus Prime is killed.

Rodimus Prime was once the young and impulsive Autobot warrior known as Hot Rod. In Transformers The Movie, Hot Rod is inadvertantly responsible for the death of Optimus Prime. But later, when Hot Rod reclaims the Autobot Matrix of Leadership from Galvatron, it unlocks--revealing Hot Rod as the true heir to Autobot leadership. Placing the Autobot Matrix of Leadership inside his chest, Hot Rod changed form both physically and mentally. Rodimus is stronger and more mature than Hot Rod, but some of the hot-headed tendencies of his old self still show through.

Rodumus Prime can transform into a futuristic car and trailer type vehicle (sort of like Optimus Prime). He can achieve land speeds of 200 mph.

Rodimus Prime had his doubts about his abilities as leader; he never thought he could be as good a leader as Optimus Prime. In some ways, he was right, since Transformers fans never liked him as much as Optimus.

But soon enough, Optimus Prime would be resurrected. Rodimus Prime gave the Matrix back to Optimus, thus reverting back to Hot Rod.

Transforms from futuristic truck to robot and back!

AUTOBOT: RODIMUS PRIME

FUNCTION: PROTECTOR
"Experience is the benchmark of maturity."

A vanguard for the Autobot ranks. Possesses acute military prowess. Speaks with the savvy of seasoned veteran. Expert tactician with exceptional maneuverability in battle. Can be hot-headed at times. Has a tendency to act first and ask questions later. In robot mode, carries a photon eliminator that shoots high voltage electricity. Range: 500 miles. Speed: 200 mph. Sole purpose is to protect all life. His only weakness is his compassion for other living creatures.

  • Strength: 10
  • Intelligence: 10
  • Speed: 9
  • Endurance: 10
  • Rank: 10
  • Courage: 10
  • Firepower: 9
  • Skill: 10
Transformers Tech Specs


In the cartoon, after the movie and before "The Return of Optimus Prime", Rodimus was the leader of the Autobots with an informal style. He never made as good an impression on his viewers as Optimus Prime did, though, and the clamor to return the old leader to life somehow was so loud Takara couldn't help but hear it. Of course, it's generally agreed among fans that the post-movie cartoon episodes were never up to the same level of quality as the pre-movie episodes in any regard, so it may not be a fair basis of comparison.

Formerly known as Hot Rod, Rodimus was at one time the leader of the Autobots/Cybertrons. Rodimus Prime actually has two different histories; The first one has him attempting to usher in the "New Cybertronian Era", which was forgotten as quickly as it was concieved. This version of the Autobot leader was uneasy with his "crown" of leadership; he willingly gave up the matrix (and with it, leadership) of the autobots when Optimus Prime returned. This is the American history.

The Japanese history, however, was quite different. Rodimus Convoy, as he was known in Japan, was not only a very confident leader, but was as widely respected as his predecessor, Optimus Prime. Rodimus died mid-battle during the Headmaster Era, but was remembered long afterwards as a brave and compassionate leader.

How do you distinguish Rodimus Prime's appearance from Hot Rod in robot mode in the cartoon? Apart from Rodimus being somewhat larger (which doesn't help much, since the robots in the Transformers universe seemed to vary in size according to which episode it was and which other robots were in the picture), Rodimus had more lines in his face than Hot Rod, so as to appear older and wiser.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.