Rollerblade, Inc. began in 1980 as a company offering an in-line skate as a off-season training tool for ice hockey players. Minnesota hockey players Scott Olson and his brother had discovered a pair of in-line skates and modified them for their own use, improving comfort and adding a rear brake. The product spent a few years as a niche market product in the Minnesota area for hockey players, nordic skiers, and alpine skiers.

After the company was sold to Minneapolis businessman Bob Naegele, Jr. in 1984, the company had the fiscal resources to really solidify the product. Many nagging design flaws were solved, and the company introduced the Lightning TRS, the first truly successful skate.

The new owners positioned the skates as a recreational toll for everyone, and reached out to a broad market. Specialty stores in Miami Beach, Florida, and Venice Beach, California gave the product exposure to people (and media) who would embrace the product and take it national, and then global.

Rollerblade has since eliminated its specialty shops, selling through the sporting good chains. They use a number of marketing programs and promotions, plus a reputation for quality and innovation, to maintain their leadership position in the market. New ideas, from small ideas like using buckles instead of laces, to big ones like their 'Active Brake Technology' which simplified braking, kept Rollerblade at the top throughout the 1990s. Recent innovations include a tool-less, push button adjustable children’s skate, the Microblade® XT.

After many years as a division of Benetton Sportsystem USA, Inc., Tecnica Group S.p.A.'s purchase of Rollerblade was finalized in July 2003. Technica is expected to bring improved manufacturing and research strengths to Rollerblade.


In-line skates themselves are often called "rollerblades", but this is not correct. Rollerblade is a registered trademark of Rollerblade, Inc. Like Kleenex, Styrofoam, and Frisbee, ubiquity in the market has devalued the brand name. Rollerblade would prefer that you use the generic term 'in-line skate', or simply skate.


Thanks to http://www.rollerblade.com/about_us/our_story.html

Futuristic styled, human powered, personal transport system. At a first glance they seem to be quite a lot like roller skates with the wheels in a single line rather than in two pairs. This simple change has turned a cheesy '80s fad into the transport medium of the 21st century. They offer the freedom and speed (nearly) of a bicycle but with the luxury of portability of shoes (again, nearly). These trade offs have suceeded in creating a quick and versitile way to move around today's urban jungle. Blading has primarily attracted young energetic types who lead packed life styles.

Roller blades tend to be made of a high density, impact resistant plastic modeled in curvy futuretech styles. The wheels are often rubber and mounted on ball barings to keep down the friction. Prices can range from cheap - 30USD to expensive 200USD - and probably higher. Expensive models give better control and have better barings and durability.

Skillful roller bladers can do tricks such as travelling backwards or on one foot (or both!) and can be spectacular to watch - especially when they wipeout.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.