A really good 1997 movie co-starring Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow. Supporting cast stars Janeane Garofalo and Alan Cumming.

Essentially, the plot revolves around these 2 blondes, Romy and Michelle, who have been friends since high school. Now living in California, they get invited to their 10-year high school reunion. They reminisce their whole time in high school, being mocked by the most popular kids, and not fitting in, just being friends together.

However, since they both have not-so-great jobs, and no boyfriends, the two come up with an idea to "look" successful by acting successful. They wear business suits and borrow a convertible.

I'd really say go see this movie, all the people who bothered them in high school get their just desserts, there are your stereotipical crowds, and there is an eventual happy ending.

As a tiny trivia point, 'Romy and Michele's High School Reunion' is called 'Romy und Michele: Alle Macht den Blonden' in Germany. This means, roughly, 'Romy and Michele: All Power to the Blonde'.

In France it is called 'Romy et Michelle: 10 Ans Aprés', which means 'Romy and Michelle: 10 Years Later'. Note that Lisa Kudrow's character (essentially a shallower version of Phoebe from Friends) gains an extra 'L'.

In Norway it is called 'Blond og blondere' which means 'Blond and blonder' (thanks to Lectrice for that).

In Italy it is simply called 'Romy e Michelle'. Now you know.

The film itself had a 'mixed' critical reception at the time - it had Alan Cumming in it, for heaven's sake - although it appears to have subsequently become a minor cult and has apparently spawned a television series. According to 'A reviewer' from 'Deutschland' on Amazon.de, it's 'wunderbar witzig, komisch, heiter und Erinnerungen-weckend'. High praise indeed.

Lisa Kudrow subsequently fought off the 'ditzy blonde' stereotyping with a role in 'The Opposite of Sex', with which she won an award - a big one. She is now very rich and happy, unlike Janeane Garofalo, who also appears in this film.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.