Rotten Apples - Smashing Pumpkins

The Smashing Pumpkins' greatest hits collection, released by Virgin Records on November 20, 2001. At least for the time being, "Rotten Apples" comes packaged with "Judas O", a b-sides and rareties collection. There is also a DVD collection of all of the band's videos, The Greatest Hits Video Collection: 1991-2000, which was released at the same time.

If you want to buy this, I found it at Target for $14, which is a pretty good deal for 2 CDs.

I think each of these songs has sufficient information in the individual writeup. As a whole, I reccommend this album to die-hard Pumpkins fans and occasional listeners alike. While it may seem counterintuitive for a fan with every Pumpkins album to buy a CD of bunch of stuff he already has, this collection offers a few laignappes. Most importantly, this is the first time anyone has heard a CD-quality version of "Untitled", the last Pumpkins song ever made and previously only available as an MP3 copy of a radio broadcast. Finally hearing this amazing song CD-quality is an epiphany. It shines. If you don't buy this CD, I wholeheartedly recommend downloading this song, especially if you haven't heard it. It's a spectacular end to a spectacular band.

Other than that, there's "Drown" and "Eye", both great songs previously available only on movie soundtracks. One glaring omission: This collection doesn't include "The End is the Beginning is the End", a hit from the Batman and Robin soundtrack, and one of my favorite Pumpkins songs. Otherwise, it's pretty complete.

Note: This tracklisting is for the American version. The European version swaps "I Am One" and "Try, Try, Try" for "Siva" and "Landslide".

    Title (Original Album)
  1. Siva (Gish)
  2. Rhinoceros (Gish)
  3. Drown (Soundtrack to the movie "Singles")
  4. Cherub Rock (Siamese Dream)
  5. Today (Siamese Dream)
  6. Disarm (Siamese Dream)
  7. Landslide (Pisces Iscariot)
  8. Bullet With Butterfly Wings (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
  9. 1979 (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
  10. Zero (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
  11. Tonight, Tonight (Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness)
  12. Ave Adore (Adore)
  13. Perfect (Adore)
  14. Eye (Soundtrack to the movie "Lost Highway")
  15. Everlasting Gaze (MACHINA/The Machines of God)
  16. Stand Inside Your Love (MACHINA/The Machines of God)
  17. Real Love (MACHINA II/The Friends and Enemies of Modern Music)
  18. Untitled (Previously unavailable)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.