Indie recording label specializing in folk, roots and world music. The Zoe imprint includes more rock-ish artists like the Nields and Juliana Hatfield. The folkier Philo imprint includes artists such as Utah Phillips, Vance Gilbert and Nanci Griffith.

Slang.

This is old slang for a habitual thief, drunkard, or hustler. Less-commonly used to refer to someone with general experience, as in "old-timer". In poker, a career player, the opposite of a "sucker."

As the Webster's definition implies, "rounder" is derived from the phrase "to make the rounds."

Supreme Court Justice William O. Douglas used the word in his biography: " . . .It was a moving, eloquent plea: he had a mother to support; he was poor as a church mouse; he was not a "rounder" or a "boozer." Vol. I, p.99. (1974).
An unimportant underworld character who has a multitude of interests, often in the employ of several different gangs.

- american underworld dictionary - 1950

Round"er (?), n.

1.

One who rounds; one who comes about frequently or regularly.

2.

A tool for making an edge or surface round.

3. pl.

An English game somewhat resembling baseball; also, another English game resembling the game of fives, but played with a football.

Now we play rounders, and then we played prisoner's base. Bagehot.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.