The Ruger 10/22 is a popular rimfire rifle in production since 1964. It is semiautomatic, with a simple blowback mechanism, and is chambered for the .22 Long Rifle, .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire, or .17 Hornady Magnum Rimfire rounds. It is produced in a variety of configurations, including wood or synthetic stock, stainless or blued metal, and several barrel lengths. All are designed to accept a 10-round rotary magazine, with a 5-round version available for some countries. It is widely considered to be a fine beginner's rifle because of its fair accuracy and the low recoil of rimfire ammunition.

The 10/22 is one of the most easily customized rifles available due to a simple design and a large aftermarket. Little to no gunsmithing is required to replace almost any part. It is even possible, although expensive, to construct a 10/22 without a single Ruger part. Store-bought 10/22s are commonly turned into highly accurate "tack drivers" or modified "plinkers" for recreational shooting. Some of the most popular accessories are larger magazines, capable of holding up to 50 rounds each. This is perhaps ironic considering Bill Ruger's public opposition to magazines containing more than 10.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.