copyright 1942 Margaret Wise Brown. HarperCollins. picture book / board book for babies - preschoolers.


Runaway Bunny has never been out of print since it was first published in 1942. In the world of children's literature that is what we like to call a BIG DEAL. Not quite as popular as Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon, this is a close second, and is loved by zillions of kids, worldwide.

So, this bunny decides to run away. His mom assures him that he is free to do so, but he should keep in mind that she will come right after him to bring him home safe.   "I will run after you. For you are my little bunny."   Her son keeps coming up with new ways to escape, and every time, mom answers with a new way to track him down. Whether he turns into a fish or a flower or a rock, she will sniff him out and drag his silly butt back home.

It's a gentle, peaceful, rhythmic book, with sweetdreamy illustrations, a perfect read for bedtime. I know a kid who insists all day that he is a Big Boy, but come eight o'clock, it's always, always bunnytime. And the unexpected dry humor of the last page gets me every time, though kids don't think it's funny - that part is just for me.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.