b. 1959, d. --
clarinetist

Born in southern Germany, both Sabine’s father and brother were clarinetists. At the age of 14, she studied with Hans Deinzer, who helped her to overcome some serious problems she was having with articulation.

In ’76 she became a student at the High School for Music in Hanover where she met her husband, Reiner Wehle, in Deinzer’s class. Also a clarinetist, and quite a successful one at that, they would later form the Trio di Clarone in 1984 along with her brother, Wolfgang. Sabine won several prizes at the Jugand Musiziert between 1969 and 1975, as well as the Wiesbaden Mozart Society Prize in ’71. In 1981, Sabine played with the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra in Munich – her first professional post.

After leaving in '83 during the Berlin crisis, Sabine’s name was spreading as a soloist worth listening to. Even more attention was brought to her name after her performance with Karl Leister with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra. Quite a bit of uproar came about due to her being a woman, for in 1983, she signed a one-year contract with the Berlin Philharmonic as the only female member of the orchestra. However, due to the controversy she resigned in 1984.

In 1987, she moved out into the country with Reiner, and they were married there four days later. She lives there now with her husband, and continues to play and record around the world.


[↵] clarinetist

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.