Sad Sappy Sucker is a collection of early and previously unreleased song fragments and demos by indie rock stalwarts Modest Mouse. It was released in 2001, but was actually recorded in 1994, but shelved in favor of their debut LP, This is a Long Drive for Someone With Nothing to Think About. The majority of the songs are extremely catchy and interesting, while clearly lacking the polish and craftsmanship that mark the other Modest Mouse albums. Twelve of the twenty-four tracks were recorded with K Records' Calvin Johnson (of Beat Happening fame) at Dub Narcotic Sound System, while the other half are products of lead singer Issac Brock's amateur Dial-a-Song service that he created in the early '90s in Olympia, WA.

During the recording of Sad Sappy Sucker, the band's lineup was Brock on vocals and guitar, Dan Gallucci on guitar, John Wickhart on bass, and Jeremiah Green on drums. On all subsequent releases, the lineup has been Brock, Green, and Eric Judy on bass.

Tracklisting

  1. Worms vs. Birds
  2. Four Fingered Fisherman
  3. Wagon Ride Return
  4. Classy Plastic Lumber
  5. From Point A to Point B
  6. Path of Least Resistance
  7. It Always Rains on a Picnic
  8. Dukes Up
  9. Think Long
  10. Every Penny Fed Car
  11. Mice Eat Cheese
  12. Race Car Grin You Ain't No Landmark
  13. Red Hand Case
  14. Secret Agent X-9
  15. Blue Cadet-3, Do You Connect?
  16. call to Dial-a-Song
  17. 5-4-3-2-1... Lisp Off
  18. Woodgrain
  19. BMX Crash
  20. Sucker Bet
  21. Black Blood
  22. SWY
  23. Australopithecus
  24. Sin Gun Chaser

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.