Also known as Abbo and Abbon

Born around the year 945 near Orleans, France, Abbo became a Benedictine monk, taking the habit and coming of age at Saint Benoît-sur-Loire abbey at Fleury, France. He studied all over France at Paris, Reims and Orleans, and became one of the great scholars of his day, and his writings on astronomy, grammar, philosophy, mathmatics, canon law, theology, biography, etc. still survive to this day.

From 985 to 987 he taught at the abbey school at Ramsey, Huntingdonshire, England at the request of Saint Oswald of Worcester, archbishop of York. In 988 after much debate by rowdy monks, he was elected abbot of Fleury, where he instituted Cluniac observance. He brought this school to great renown.

In 995 he fought for the rights of monks at the Synod of Saint Denis. He soon became ambassador to the Vatican, where he became a good friend of Pope Gregory V Peacemaker and negotiator between him and the king of France, Robert the Pious. He apparently worked hard to try and calm people's fears of the end of the world with the turn of the milennium in 1000, as well as other problems related to the turn of the milennium (though I don't believe it involved computers)

Shortly thereafter, the rowdy monks becmae the end of him, and he was lanced in the side by one of them as he tried to quell a monastic riot at La Réole, Gascony, France in 1004. He is now considered a martyr, and his feast day is celebrated on November 13.

His best-known work was The Martyrdom of Saint Edmund, King of East Anglia, from an earlier Anglo-Saxon version

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.