St. Kentigern, or, St. Mungo
also, Centygern: the name means "head lord", but he was popularly known as Mungo — in Cymric, Mwyn-gu, or "dear one"

Bishop, founder of the See of Glasgow
born about 518
died at Glasgow, January 13, 613.

His mother Thenaw was daughter of a British prince, Lothus (from whom the province of Lothain was called). Traditions says that this is then Denw, daughter of Llew, the King Loth or King Lot of Arthurian legend, and hense she is the sister to Sir Gawain. His father's name is unknown to Latin manuscripts, but Welsh records record him as bein Owain ap Urien, the Sir Yvain, son of Morgan Le Fay/Modron and Urien of Rheged. However, this cannot be true, as the historical Owain wasn't born until ca. 550. It is possible that his father is Urien, not Owain.

According to Jocelyn's Life of Saint Kentigern, the saint was born at Culross in Fife, and brought up until manhood by St. Serf (or St. Servanus) at his monastery there; but William F. Skene shows that this connection between the two saints involves an anachronism, as St. Serf really belongs to the following century.

At the age of twenty-five, Kentigern had begun his ministry at Cathures, on the Clyde, the site of modern Glasgow. The Christian king of Strathclyde, Roderick (Rhydderch Hael), welcomed the saint, and made sure of his consecration as bishop, which took place about 540. For thirteen years he labored in the district, living in a cell at the meeting of the Clyde and the Molendinar rivers. A large community grew up around him, became known as "Clasgu" (meaning the "dear family") and ultimately grew into the town and city of Glasgow.

About 553 a strong anti-Christian movement lead by King Gwendolenau in Strathclyde. Kentigern left the district, and retired to Wales, staying for a time with St. David at Menevia, and afterwards founding a large monastery at Llanelwy, now St. Asaphs, of which he appointed Asaph in succession. In 573 the Battle of Arthuret, the Celtic and Pictish pagans were deafeated, securing the hold of the Christians in Cumbria. Kentigern, at the orders of King Roderick (Rhydderch of Welsh legend), returned, accompanied by many of his followers. For eight years he fixed his see at Hoddam in Dumfriesshire, preaching to the districts of Galloway and Cumberland. About 581 he finally returned to Glasgow, and here, a year or two later, he was visited by St. Columba, who was at that time preaching in Strathtay.

Kentigern was buried on the spot where now stands the cathedral dedicated in his honor. His remains are said still to rest in the crypt. His festival is kept throughout Scotland on January 13. The Bollandists have printed a special mass for this feast, dating from the thirteenth century.

He makes an apperance in the story St. Kentigern and Lailoken, about his meeting with Merlin.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.