"Salad Cream is one of the greatest culinary inventions of the 20th century" - top chef Marco Pierre White
Salad Cream is a much maligned product and is often said to be the poor man's mayonnaise - as margarine is the poor man's butter. It is a smooth, pale yellow sauce with the consistency of ketchup and has a sweet but vinegary flavour. It is primarily used as a salad dressing, but is also good on chips/fries, and simply delicious sandwiched between bread and butter.

Salad cream was invented in America by Charles Hellen, a manager at Heinz, in 1914, however it is as traditionally British as Branston Pickle. It was popular in Britain in the 1940s as it livened up the fairly mundane diet that was the result of rationing.

Sadly its popularity dwindled over the years - the Great British public had acquired more sophisticated tastes! It came to the point where Heinz were about to withdraw the product altogether, but such was the outcry that Heinz decided to keep the recipe the same and just renew the packaging. Millions of pounds were spent on advertising campaigns and salad cream is now as popular as it has ever been.

Heinz Salad Cream has been copied by all the major British supermarkets under their own brand names, but these are slightly inferior products (IMHO).

Nutrtional Information

Spirit Vinegar
Vegetable Oil (25%)
Water
Sugar
Mustard
Salt
Egg Yolks (3%)
Modified Cornflour
Stabilisers (Xanthan Gum and Guar Gum)
Colour - Riboflavin


Typical Values   per 100g   per 10ml
Energy (kJ)       1375        -
Energy (kcal)     331        33
Protein (g)       1.4        0.1
Carbohydrate (g)  20.3       2
Sugars (g)        17.5       1.7
Fat (g)           26.7       2.7
Saturates (g)      3.3       0.3
Fibre (g)          0         0
Sodium(g)          1.1       0.1

Heinz Salad Cream is suitable for vegetarians. Heinz introduced Salad Cream, Light which has a slightly reduced fat content (19.9%) for the health conscious.

http://www.heinz.co.uk


Noders in the catbox today suggested that salad cream is akin to Miracle Whip, but I have no evidence yet from anyone who has tried both products. Please /msg me if you have and would like to comment!


Jembeth says Salad Cream and Miracle Whip aren't alike at all. Salad Cream's way better


Thoughts on salad cream from the chatterbox archive:

1010011010: sfc... it's an amazing new skin firming lotion made with real salads
TallRoo: salad cream (or is it creme?) is an Heinz product. It's a vinegar-y tasting white gloop, similar to tomato ketchup in consistency. Yummy on salad.
And fish-finger sandwiches. And everything else too.
lawnjart: IT IS THE DEVILS SPUNK! THE WORST KNOWN SUBSTANCE THAT IS SOLD AS "FOOD"!
GangstaFeelsGood: BlueDragon any thing that SOUNDS that gross must be british
fuzzy and blue vastly prefers Salad Cream to Miracle Whip, if anyone cares. But I had no idea what I know as slasaus in Dutch is called Salad Cream in English.
GangstaFeelsGood wants a britnoder to send him some salad cream...
amnesiac: i see a huge import/export opportunity arising

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.