A late 80s/early 90s heavy metal band; "Come Along" and to a lesser degree, "Lonesome Fool" were the singles I remember.

A sailor, seaman, mariner, etc. People who live on pontoons in freshwater waterways don't count.

A vodka and grapefruit juice cocktail served over ice in a salt-rimmed glass. A salty dog without salt is, of course, a greyhound.

The Salty Dawg Saloon

The Salty Dawg is a working gray and white wooden lighthouse near the end of the Homer Spit, which happens to also be a great bar. The floors are wood chip covered concrete, the walls and ceilings are covered with pictures, life-rings, underwear, dollar bills, and other momentoes from people and ships that have passed through. There is even a human skull with a sign under him reading, "the last guy to pass us a hot check". Unlike most of the bars in Homer the Dawg does not serve beer on tap. That means no Homer Brew. The most popular drink among pukers (tourists) is of course a greyhound with salt, a salty dog, and among the locals and the fishermen, shots with a Fosters chaser. I have slept many a cold night on the gravely beaches of the Homer Spit. Too drunk to even find my car. But lets look at the brightside, at least I never woke up on a fishing boat half-way to Kodiak.


I recall the night at the ball when we danced and sang

With the Salty Dawg Boogie, and a little woogie,

you gave me quite a bang

Also, a quite rare cocktail:

Ingredients:
  • 2 - 3 ice cubes
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 measure gin (or vodka)
  • 2 - 2.5 measures grapefruit juice
  • to decorate, one orange slice

Preparation:
Put ice cubes in an old fashioned glass, sprinkle salt over ice, add gin or vodka and grapefruit juice, stir gently and serve. Decorate with an orange slice.
For added poshness, you can rim the glass with salt (see Margarita).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.