Salusa Secundus is the name of a planet featured in the Dune saga. It is located in the Gamma Waiping system and in the beginning of Dune: The Butlerian Jihad it is described as a beautiful, lush planet acting as the capital world of the League of Nobles and home to millions of people. Before the Butlerian Jihad, the thinking machine artifical intelligence named Omnius sends a robotic fleet commanded by cymek Agamemnon to capture the capital world. The Salusan Militia led by newly appointed Tercero Xavier Harkonnen (his commanding officer had been killed at the start of the invasion) rallies and defeats the cymek landing party. In 197 B.G., the Corrin-Omnius sends a large fleet to capture the planet but orbital defenses hold and the thinking machines are forced to retreat.

At the end of Dune: The Machine Crusade, Salusa Secundus remains the center of politics in the League of Nobles. During the end of Dune: The Battle of Corrin, Salusa Secundus is apparently bombarded by atomics and turned into a desert planet. Frank Herbert's writings state that Salusa Secundus was designated a prison planet by the Padishah Emperor since it remains an environmentally inhospitable planet, killing most of the prisoners within weeks of arrival. The challenges to staying alive make Salusa Secundus a perfect place to train the Emporer's Sardaukar: an elite fighting force known to be ruthless and extremely skilled.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.