San

A people of the Kalahari in Africa...once called bushmen by the whites of South Africa--the term is outdated and derogatory as most ideas of South Africa were/are. The San are made up of approximately half nomadic hunter-gatherers and half field workers for white settlers. Their culture and lifestyle is extremely simple--caves and rock shelters are used as dwellings. They "possess" only what they carry and use poisoned arrow heads to fell game. They exist primarily as small hunting bands--larger organizations are brief and fleeting.

The name of the female lead character in Mononoke Hime (aka Princess Mononoke). San was raised by Moro, the wolf goddess, and despises humans, especially the Lady Eboshi. Ashitaka must find a way for them all to live in peace.

Also, an abbreviation for sanity points in roleplaying games, especially Call of Cthulhu.

In Japanese (and perhaps other far-east) culture, it is used as a term of respect when addressing an indiviual, usually someone older than yourself. It is akin the the english 'sir' in showing the proper respect for an individuals wisdom or office. So, if I were in Japan (and if I were actually worthly of any respect), I would be addressed as Xunker San.. though my name would probably be pronounced as 'Junke' (Yun'ka-e)

Also Japanese (within the Chinese counting system within Japanese) for three. The kanji character is as follows:


        ###############


          ###########


      ###################

The above is a pictograph for three extended fingers. It can be read as san or mi- as in sangatsu (March), mikka (third day), or sankaku (triangle).

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.