In the Star Trek universe, Sarek is a Vulcan ambassador who also happens to be the father of Mr. Spock. The character is played by actor Mark Lenard (who also portrays the Romulan commander in the original series episode "Balance of Terror"), and first appears in the TOS episode "Journey to Babel" (Stardate 3842.3, aired November 17th 1967).

Sarek was born on Vulcan in 2164, and died in 2368; at 202 years of age. He married three times, and had two sons. One with his first wife (a Vulcan princess), Sybok, born in 2224. His wife died shortly after Sybok's birth, and Sarek remarried with the human Amanda Grayson in 2229; his second son, Spock, was born the year thereafter.

Sarek was never close to any of his children though, and broke all contact with Spock when the latter joined Starfleet instead of studying at the Vulcan Science Academy. However, after Spock saved his father's life through a blood transfusion during the USS Enterprise's transport of ambassadors to the Babel Conferences, they came on better terms with each other.

Finally though, all contact between the two was broken in the beginning of the 24th century; over the Cardassian issue. At about the same time, Sarek's second wife Amanda died, and he once again remarried, with a human woman named Perrin.

Sarek was diagnosed with Bendii syndrome in 2366 and finally died at his home on Vulcan in 2368.

 

Sources: http://startrek.com/ and memory.

Sarek national park

go back to National Parks of Sweden

One of the original nine national parks of Sweden designated by the government in 1909, Sarek's national park is located in the Jokkmokk district in the northernmost part of Swedish Lapland, just south of the national park Stora sjöfallet. Located between the source-lakes of the Greater Lule River and the Smaller Lule River, the park covers an area of 1,970 square kilometers (760 square miles), making it the second largest in the country. It is dominated by some of the largest mountains in the country and generally unforgiving terrain.

The King's Trail (Kungsleden), a 440-kilometer (275 miles) hiking trail beginning at Abisko and terminating at Hemavan touches the southeastern border of the park, but apart from this, the park is not a hospitable environment for tourists other than highly experienced mountaineers and wildlife experts. The northernmost part of the park is accessible by boat from Ritsem, north of the Akkajaure mountain.

Though the park contains no facilities and very few bridges, it has a vast variety of natural features for those experienced enough to enjoy it. Narrow valleys are surrounded by sharp mountain peaks, which are tall by Swedish standards, reaching over 2,000 meters (6560 feet) above sea level.

Rivers rage freely and flood often, and rapidly changing weather poses a threat to the inexperienced visitor, as do frequently occurring avalanches and fierce blizzards during the winter. As large parts of the park consist of some one hundred glaciers and several mountain peaks above the tree line, there is little life here, but in the Rapa delta, animal life is thriving.

Animals found in the valleys include bear, lynx, large elk, and wolverine. These are dangerous animals, and their presence is another reason for the inexperienced to think twice about going here. The plant life, by contrast, is all the more peaceful. The Rapa valley is home to a large population of birch trees, willows and herbs.

Sarek is part of Laponia, declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO. Three Sami communities have their reindeers' grazing lands here.

Following is a translation of the conditions governing Sarek national park. I am neither a lawyer, nor a translator. This is for educational purposes only. Do not blame me if you get in trouble, yada, yada. The conditions translated into the text below apply only to Sarek. Other national parks have other conditions specified for them.


Public notice with conditions regarding SAREK national park; SNFS (1987:9)

Supported by 4 § of the national park ordinance (1987:938), the Swedish Environmental Protection Agency announces the following conditions for the national park according to 5 § second section of the environmental protection act (1964:822).

Within the national park it is forbidden to

The Swedish Environmental Protection Agency can - if special circumstances are present - announce exceptions from given restrictions.

Without hindrance by the above prohibitions, it is permissible

  • for staff authorized by the national park bailiff to conduct measures according to determined plan of maintenance
  • for an official in official matters concerning issues of reindeer keeping, the police, or the national park management to use motorboats, terrain scooter on snow-covered ground, to fly in valleys as well as less than 300 meters above ground, or to land by aircraft. Notification of mentioned matters shall be made to the national park management before conduct
  • for an official in official matters regarding healthcare or rescue operation issues to use appropriate vehicle or fly in valleys as well as less than 300 meters above ground or to land by aircraft. Notification of mentioned matters shall be made to the national park management before conduct if possible, otherwise as soon as possible upon completion of the mission
  • for members of Sirkas sameby, Jåkkåkaska sameby and Tuorpon sameby in relation to reindeer keeping tasks or fishing for household needs or trade to use motorboat, terrain scooter on snow-covered ground, to fly in valleys as well as less than 300 meters above ground or to land by aircraft as well as selling traditional bread, fish and similar
  • to gather berries and mushrooms
  • to take dry branches and twigs to make a fire or arrange a shelter
  • to bring a leashed dog during the time from January 1 to April 30 within the entire national park as well as the entire year while walking on the King's trail.

Passing into law

SNFS 1987:9

This public notice will pass into law on January 1, 1988.


Information synthesized from www.environ.se and www.fjallen.nu.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.