A classification of drugs and other substances in the United States. Schedule II means :
  • The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
  • The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States or a currently accepted medical use with severe restrictions.
  • Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to severe psychological or physical dependence.
  • Schedule II substances include morphine, PCP, cocaine, methadone, and methamphetamine.

This information taken from the DEA website, http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/concern/abuse/chap1/control/sched2.htm.

Schedule II is not that different from Schedule I. Many of these are just as dangerous, and frequently more so, then Schedule I drugs. Currently there is a movement to get marijuana rescheduled to Schedule II, so that it can be used to treat glaucoma, and nausea in AIDS and chemotherapy patients, who are frequently suffering horribly and have found marijuana to be the only way to treat their pain. Until marijuana is rescheduled, then doctors and patients in states with medical marijuana laws face prosecution under federal laws. This is called stupid, and I hope that the bozos in Washington come to their senses soon enough to help the thousands of people who are suffering so that the War on Drugs can be used to lock up racial minorities.
Here are some examples of common Schedule II Medications:


Actiq® (fentanyl)
Adderall® (amphetamine/dexamphetamine)
Concerta® (methylphenidate)
Demerol® (meperidine)
Desoxyn® (methamphetamine)
Dexedrine® (dextroamphetamine)
Dilaudid® (hydromorphone)
Dolophine® (methadone)
Duragesic® (fentanyl)
Meperidine
Metadate® CD (methylphenidate)
Methadone
Morphine
MS Contin® (morphine)
Oxycodone with acetaminophen
Oxycontin® (oxycodone)
Percocet® (oxycodone/acetaminophen)
Percodan® (oxycodone/aspirin)
Ritalin® (methylphenidate)
Roxicet® (oxycodone/acetaminophen)
Tylox® (oxycodone/acetaminophen)

Schedule II medications are typically called narcotics. Depending on the state, they can be written on special triplicate prescription pads, and may require photo ID for pickup.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.