This elixir comes in two forms: blended and single malt. All scotch comes from Scotland, obviously. Single malt (the better type), is classified by the geographical factors contributing to the flavor of the whisky. Speyside, the most popular variety, is so named because the water comes from the river Spey. Scotch is made from barley, which is allowed to germinate (malt), and then roasted over a peat fire. The liquor is then fermented and distilled, then aged in Kentucky bourbon casks.

I believe the Irish taught the Scots to make usequebagh or whisky. Scots renamed it scotch. Other varieties of scotch are Islay named because it comes from the small islands off the north of Scotland. There is also a difference in lowland and highland scotch usually varying by the amount of peat in the water used for distilling, Laphroig having a high peat content, and Oban a lower peat content. Aging in sherry casks also. see also scotches

contrary to what Webster 1913 says, the Scots (being the people of Scotland), do not like being referred to as scotch. They prefer the appellation Scots.

Please note that whisky is not called scotch in Scotland. Here it is simply whisky (or commonly refered to as a "nip" of a "dram").

There are many, many different Scottish whiskys, and contrary to what jde says in his writeup Speyside is not the most commonly drank, that title would probably go to Famous Grouse.

From what I have gathered so far there is a much smaller variety (as one would expect) of whiskys available in the U.S. compared to in Scotland itself. This is a deep shame, because I am fond a of a wee dram every so often.

Used generically as a term for adhesive tape in many parts of the world and several languages, although Scotch Tape is in fact a trade mark of 3M and should be capitalised, if we're going to be pedantic about it.



In Belgium, a variety of strong pale beer somewhat akin to barley wine, some of which is actually made in Scotland (for export only) and some in Belgium by companies started up by expatriate Scots after the First World War. The most commonly available brands are John Martins and Gordons (so in other words, Gordons in the land of Magritte and Marc Dutroux is not gin but rather scotch, but not whisky either). Gordons is a product of the Scottish and Newcastle brewery conglomerate and may in fact be the same product as Gold Label barley wine, but sold in 40 cl tins rather than 1/3 pint nip bottles.

Scotch (?), a. [Cf. Scottish.]

Of or pertaining to Scotland, its language, or its inhabitants; Scottish.

Scotch broom (Bot.), the Cytisus scoparius. See Broom. --
Scotch dipper, or Scotch duck (Zoöl.), the bufflehead; -- called also Scotch teal, and Scotchman. --
Scotch fiddle, the itch. [Low] Sir W. Scott. --
Scotch mist, a coarse, dense mist, like fine rain. --
Scotch nightingale (Zoöl.), the sedge warbler. [Prov. Eng.] --
Scotch pebble. See under pebble. --
Scotch pine (Bot.) See Riga fir. --
Scotch thistle (Bot.), a species of thistle (Onopordon acanthium); -- so called from its being the national emblem of the Scotch.

 

© Webster 1913


Scotch, n.

1.

The dialect or dialects of English spoken by the people of Scotland.

2.

Collectively, the people of Scotland.

 

© Webster 1913


Scotch, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scotched (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Scotching.] [Cf. Prov. E. scote a prop, and Walloon ascot a prop, ascoter to prop, F. accoter, also Armor. skoaz the shoulder, skoazia to shoulder up, to prop, to support, W. ysgwydd a shoulder, ysgwyddo to shoulder. Cf. Scoat.] [Written also scoatch, scoat.]

To shoulder up; to prop or block with a wedge, chock, etc., as a wheel, to prevent its rolling or slipping.

 

© Webster 1913


Scotch, n.

A chock, wedge, prop, or other support, to prevent slipping; as, a scotch for a wheel or a log on inclined ground.

 

© Webster 1913


Scotch, v. t. [Probably the same word as scutch; cf. Norw. skoka, skoko, a swingle for flax; perhaps akin to E. shake.]

To cut superficially; to wound; to score.

We have scotched the snake, not killed it.
Shak.

Scotched collops (Cookery), a dish made of pieces of beef or veal cut thin, or minced, beaten flat, and stewed with onion and other condiments; -- called also Scotch collops. [Written also scotcht collops.]

 

© Webster 1913


Scotch, n.

A slight cut or incision; a score. Walton.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.