American professional basketball player (1971-). He was born in New Haven, CT, but grew up in nearby Hamden, CT, and attended Hamden High School, where he made All-State in football, basketball, and baseball, and was also named the "Gatorade State Player of the Year" in both baseball and basketball. In fact, he was drafted by the Seattle Mariners in the first round of the 1989 Major League Baseball draft.

Burrell went on to star on the University of Connecticut basketball team (the "Huskies") and set the Huskies record for all-time steals with 310 and averaged 13.1 points per game. All the while, he was playing minor league baseball as his "summer job" in the Toronto Blue Jays (who selected him in the 5th round of the 1990 MLB draft) farm system.

After Burrell's graduation from UConn, the Charlotte Hornets drafted him in the 1st round of the 1993 NBA draft, making him the 20th overall pick. At this point, Burrell had chosen to focus exclusively on a professional basketball career.

Burrell became a solid starter on the Hornets, and averaged 11.5 points per game in the 1994-95 season, which is considered to be the best season of his career. In the 1994-95 season, Burrell finished third in voting for the NBA Most Improved Player award and finished third in the NBA Long Distance Shootout

In recent years, however, Burrell has been hampered by injuries and finished the 2001-2002 basketball season playing for the Fayetteville Patriots of the NBDL. Burrell hopes to sign with an NBA club for the 2002-2003 season, however.

Regardless of his athletic future, however, Burrell remains a talented baseball player and solid veteran of the NBA. He also possesses a unique distinction: he is the only player to have been selected in the first round of both the NBA and MLB drafts.

Compiled from the NBA's official site at www.nba.com and from www.uconn-bball.com.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.