Scott Hamilton is one of my favorite male skaters.
Scott was born on August 28, 1958. When he was five years old, he mysteriously stopped growing. For four years he went from hospital to hostipal and the doctors had no idea what was wrong. When he was 9 he tried figure skating and loved it. After that, he actually started to grow again (this is why he is only around 5'3").

Amateur Record
  • 1984 Olympic Gold Medalist
  • 1984 World Champion
  • 1984 U.S. National Champion
  • 1984 Eastern Champion
  • 1983 World Champion
  • 1983 U.S. National Champion
  • 1983 1st, Golden Spin of Zagrab
  • 1982 World Champion
  • 1982 U.S. National Champion
  • 1982 Eastern Champion
  • 1982 Skate America Champion
  • 1982 1st, NHK Trophy
  • 1981 World Champion
  • 1981 U.S. National Champion
  • 1981 Eastern Champion
  • 1981 Skate America Champion
  • 1981 U.S. National Sports
  • Festival Champion
  • 1980 Fifth at Worlds
  • 1980 Fifth at Olympics
  • 1980 Bronze US Medalists
  • 1979 4th at Nationals
  • 1979 Skate America Champion
  • 1978 11th at Worlds
  • 1978 Bronze US Medalist
  • 1977 9th at Nationals
  • 1976 National Junior Champion
  • 1974 8th Novice Nationals
Scott Hamilton has truly been someone that I have admired, looked up to and enjoyed since I was a child. He is unquestionably a person of passion, energy, determination and inspiration that has impacted my life, and I'm sure many others as well. He is a role-model not only for the people that he entertains, but everybody that he comes into contact with, and the sport of ice-skating as a whole.

As you read on through the facts and events in his life, you too will see that there is nothing that held Scott back from becoming what he wanted to be, and doing what he wanted to do. His lifelong positive attitude has changed the way that I look at events in my life (seeing that I have it very easy compared to a person like him), and knowing that being positive and loving life is the way to true happiness. He never complained in the face of challenges, he never gave up when the battle got tough, and never settled for less than what he thought was the best. He is man of love, passion for talent, and a positive outlook on everything he encounters.

Off To A Rough Start

Scott Hamilton was born on August 28, 1958, and was quickly adopted six weeks later by Ernie and Dorothy Hamilton who lived in Bowling Green, Ohio. Two years later, when Scott had appeared to stop growing, he was diagnosed with Swachman-Diamond Syndrome. This disease is a rare genetic disease that occurs in about one in every 50,000. This version for Scott created a paralysis of the intestine, making it very difficult for his body to absorb the proper nutrients that it needed, giving him his life-long short stature. At a certain point during his struggle with illness, he had to be fed nourishment though a tube that ran up his nose to ensure he got his required nutrients. He managed to overcome this life changing disease through extreme regulation of exercise and diet. However, the result of the disease would remain with him for the rest of his life for he only grew to be 5 feet 2 inches and weighing 108 pounds, and those are the measurements at the height of his career. Scott soon started on the sport of ice-skating at age 9 and would go on to become an ice-skating idol and a man that had more potential and surprises than his small figure appears to hold.

When Scott first stepped on the ice, no matter how pale and weak he looked, there was no denying that he had a natural born talent and love for ice-skating. From the minute he laid eyes on the ice-skating rink, it would stir something inside him that would affect his life forever. The doctors agreed that it would be alright for Scott to go with his older sister Susan because the low temperatures and exercise would be good for him. Within two months from his first ice-skating encounter, the tube was removed from Scott's nose, and the doctors told him that he would be fine and his health was improving in great bounds. He started to grow at a natural rate. Showing what a quick recovery he was having, he begged his mother to let him join the local hockey team at age eleven. Scott loved to skate fast and loved hockey even though his small, thin stature made it look like it would be impossible. However, no matter how much he liked hockey, there was no covering up his greater love for ice-skating, and that was soon his main focus.

The Cost of Becoming Great (In Many Ways)

Shortly after he ended hockey, Scott would be training as often as he could and his parents tried their best to pay his way to learning to become what he dreamed of being. However, the price of training would soon been seen when the Hamilton's sold their house to move into a smaller one in order to keep up with the training bills. Scott continued to train and work his way up through the ranks, but it was made even more difficult than it already was when his mother was diagnosed with breast cancer. This put even a bigger strain on the family finances and it was looking that Scott's skating career would soon be over. He was heartbroken when his mother died in 1978, and he had not yet won a senior medal.

Scott started to shine and gained recognition when he was elected to carry the United States flag during the parade of nations at the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid, New York due to his increased number of wins in various competitions. This was an honor because the flag bearer is chosen (by custom) from a vote of the entire U.S. contingent. At this Olympic event, Scott's first, he came in 5th. Shortly after, in 1981, he won his first of his four consecutive U.S. championship titles, and the first of his four consecutive World gold medals as well. His surprising performance pushed him to be the focus of the upcoming Olympics and was expected to win gold in 1984. Once again, after making the team and arriving in Sarajevo, Scott was sick with an ear infection that left him rather wobbly at certain points. Scott, being the determined person that he has always been, pulled it off and skated perfectly and won the gold medal. Soon after the Olympics were done, he won his fourth world title.

Scott also became the announcer for many of the ice-skating events in both competitions and the Olympics. Sadly, while Scott was announcing the ice-skating event for the 1994 Olympics in Lillehammer, Norway, Scott was told that his father had passed away before he had a chance to catch the first plane home back to Bowling Green.

Lifelong Difficulties, but a Lifelong Smile

Scott went on to fulfill even more dreams by starting the worldwide tour Stars on Ice in 1996, but was shockingly diagnosed with testicular cancer in March of 1997. He was unable to perform in the Stars on Ice as he had hoped to, and quickly underwent chemotherapy treatment for two months. After his treatment was over, he underwent surgery in June of 1997 and was then said to be back to normal, and the cancer was gone. Remarkably, 7 months after he was first diagnosed with cancer, Scott returned to the ice and skated just as well has he always had, even doing his signature back flips.

"The only disability in life is a bad attitude." ~Scott Hamilton

Scott was married to Tracie Rose Robinson on December 14, 2002, and they are excepting their first baby in September 2003.

1990

  • Inducted into World Figure Skating Hall of Fame
  • 1990

  • Inducted into U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame
  • 1984

  • Olympics – 1st
  • World Championships – 1st
  • U.S. Nationals – 1st
  • 1983

  • World Championships – 1st
  • U.S. Nationals – 1st
  • 1982

  • World Championships – 1st
  • U.S. Nationals – 1st
  • Skate America – 1st
  • 1981

  • World Championships – 1st
  • U.S. Nationals – 1st
  • Skate America – 1st
  • 1980

  • Olympics – 5th
  • World Championships – 5th
  • U.S. Nationals – 3rd
  • 1979

  • Skate America – 1st
  • 1978

  • World Championships – 11th
  • U.S. Nationals – 3rd
  • 1976

  • U.S. Junior Nationals – 1st
  • Sources:

    • http://www.skatingsource.com/scott.shtml
    • http://www.olympic-usa.org/athlete_profiles/s_hamilton.html
    • http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/5038360.htm
    • www.biography.com
    • Personal Knowledge

    Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.