Scouts Canada is the largest youth educational organization in Canada. With a quarter of a million members across the country, it also forms part of the world-wide Scouting Movement which includes over 16 million members in 150 countries.

Scouting runs co-ed youth programs specifically designed for each age grouping: Beavers (5-7 years old), Wolf Cubs (8-10 years old), Scouts (11-14 years old), Venturers (15-17 years old), and Rovers (18-26 years old).

Scouts Canada's Principles
Scouting is based on three broad principles which represent its fundamental beliefs.

Duty to God:
This is defined as: "Adherence to spiritual principles, loyalty to the religion that expresses them and acceptance of the duties resulting therefrom."

Duty to Others:
This is defined as: "Loyalty to one's country in harmony with the promotion of local, national and international peace, understanding and cooperation", and "Participation in the development of society, with recognition and respect for the dignity of one's fellow-being and for the integrity of the natural world."

Duty to Self:
This is defined as: "Responsibility for the development of oneself." This is in harmony with the educational purpose of the Scout Movement whose aim is to assist young people in the full development of their potentials.

Scouting's core philosophy and values are expressed by the principles. These form a "code of ethics" for how Scouting expects all members to conduct themselves while participating in activities. Each of the five sections has a promise, law and motto that are age-appropriate versions of Scouting's principles.

Scouts Canada's Mission
Scouting's principles are put into action and focus through our mission statement. Scouting's mission is: "To contribute to the education of young people, through a value system based on the Scout Promise and Law, to help build a better world where people are self fulfilled as individuals and play a constructive role in society."

Scouting's mission seeks to help develop the whole child. While some children may excel in school or when playing sports, to fit into society a person must be well-rounded mentally, physically, socially and spiritually to the best of their ability

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.