screwage = S = script kiddies

scribble n.

To modify a data structure in a random and unintentionally destructive way. "Bletch! Somebody's disk-compactor program went berserk and scribbled on the i-node table." "It was working fine until one of the allocation routines scribbled on low core." Synonymous with trash; compare mung, which conveys a bit more intention, and mangle, which is more violent and final.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

A prose composition in the format of an essay on a topic that has captured the author's interest containing information, ideas, emotions, and/or questions one has about the topic; an expression of momentary inspiration. Any of the usual requirements of an essay or composition may be ignored: purpose, audience, style, organization, the five W's; written for the purposes of fun, relaxation, meditation,  exploration, experimentation, or even preparation for a serious composition.

A scribble is more structured than free writing, less structured and less focused than a magazine column. A scribbler knows how to write with a purpose, but chooses to ignore some or all of the rules one must normally follow. Purple prose has no place in a serious essay, but it may have free reign in a scribble. Lies and secrets are welcome to frolick there.

A writeup should not be a scribble. A scribbler should not allow his scribbles to see the light of day without providing a warning to the reader that, though it may look like a legitimate essay, if anything it is a monumentally flawed one. Unfortunately, many scribbles are published every day on personal blogs and social networking sites.

What is the purpose of this writeup? A submission that does not have all the attributes of a good writeup may be called a scribble. Labeling a submission as a scribble is a way of channeling it away from the main content. It's not a draft, because a draft is destined to become a writeup. A scribble is a one-off piece of inspiration.

Why not publish a scribble as a writeup? E2 Users register their opinions on a writeup with upvotes, downvotes, and C!s. A scribble is by definition not a good writeup, so it should only receive downvotes. E2 does not have a 'scribble' flag, but a draft can be flagged as 'public', so that others can read it but they will not be able to vote on it, and it will not appear under any node and mistaken for a serious writeup.

All of this is not to say all scribbles should be hidden in shame. For curious readers, scribbles can provide insight into authors' minds to better understand their other, purposeful writing. But let us distinguish them from proper essays to avoid misleading the readers about the authors' intentions.

Scrib"ble (?), v. t. [Cf. Scrabble.] Woolen Manuf.

To card coarsely; to run through the scribling machine.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scrib"ble, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Scribbled (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Scribling (?).] [From Scrible.]

1.

To write hastily or carelessly, without regard to correctness or elegance; as, to scribble a letter.

2.

To fill or cover with careless or worthless writing.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scrib"ble, v. i.

To write without care, elegance, or value; to scrawl.

If Maevius scribble in Apollo's spite. Pope.

 

© Webster 1913.


Scrib"ble, n.

Hasty or careless writing; a writing of little value; a scrawl; as, a hasty scribble.

Boyle.

Neither did I but vacant seasons spend In this my scribble. Bunyan.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.