Looking almost exactly as its Half Dime Counterpart, the Seated Liberty Dime was introduced in 1837. The first design, closely resembling the half dime, featured Liberty seated on a rock, balancing the Union Shield in her right hand, while holding a long pole with her left hand. A "LIBERTY" ribbon is draped across the front of the shield, and the Liberty mobcap tops the pole. The coin's reverse depicts the words "ONE DIME" circled by a wreath tied off by a bow at the base, while "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" arcs along the top. Like the half dime, this coin was also designed by Christian Gobrecht.

Following the same design changes as the half dime, the dime also had a modification done after the first year. Thirteen stars were added to the obverse - six on the right, and seven on the left.

The new modification lasted until 1853, when more changes were made. Arrowheads were added to either side of the mint year. Then in 1860, "UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" was moved from the reverse to the obverse, and the wreath on the reverse was redesigned. The arrows were eliminated from around the date, and were later restored in 1873.

The coin lasted another year, and was discontinued in 1874.


United States Coinage

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.