Wouldn't it be great if you could play some classic Sega Genesis games without actually owning a Sega Genesis? And wouldn't it be great it you could buy one package for about $50 and walk away with several Sega classics? And wouldn't it also be great if the games were the exact originals and not some cheesy port? Well, your dreams have come true because Sega has released the Sega Smash Pack*, a collection of classic Sega Genesis games. The Sega Smash Pack is available for Windows, Sega Dreamcast, and Game Boy Advance. Each Pack has a different selection of games, and while I will list them all here I suggest you check out each game's own node for the complete rundown on your favorite titles.

The Windows version of the Sega Smash Pack includes 8 games:

Shortly after the release of the Pack, Sega released the Sega Smash Pack 2. The second installment for Windows includes:

Interestingly enough, the Windows versions of the Pack are actually a licensed version of the KGEN emulator and ROMs of the original games. This is one of the few times a major gaming company has embraced emulation to market classic games to a modern audience.

The Pack was also ported to Sega Dreamcast, albeit with a different selection of games:

A version of the Pack was released in 2002 for the Game Boy Advance. It includes:

So if you never had a Sega Genesis when these games were popular or your old hardware has gone to the big Best Buy in the sky, check out the various Sega Smash Packs and relive those old memories.

* While not an official part of the Sega Smash Pack line, in 2002 Sega used emulation to bring classic Sonic the Hedgehog games to the Nintendo GameCube in Sonic Mega Collection. Furthermore, Sega has released PC ports of Sonic the Hedgehog 3 and Sonic and Knuckles as The Sonic and Knuckles Collection as well as Sonic R and Sonic CD.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.