“Things have gone wrong too many times / So take a slow boat to China”
- Send Away The Tigers
Manic Street Preachers have often been more about the band themselves than the actual music. There is a question at their core: how does a band deal with losing a member, a friend and a leader like Richey Edwards. It’s one that they’ve spent over a decade trying to answer. Their previous album, Lifeblood, was a commercial failure, possibly because they had tried to answer the question too many times.
“This one’s for the freaks”
- Underdogs
Send Away The Tigers was a question with a different question to answer: to whom, exactly, are this band still relevant? Their old fans are entering into middle age, the new potential fans have their on bands. Who wants to listen to 40-year old revolutionaries? It’s the question you can’t help asking when you first play Send Away The Tigers, and the prognosis isn’t good. Surely it’s time for the Manics to smash their last guitars and fade into obscurity?
“Trade all your heroes in for ghosts / they were always the ones who loved you most”
- Your Love Alone Is Not Enough
If so, then somebody forgot to tell the band. Send Away The Tigers is old-fashioned Manics: loud, confident, confused, maybe pointless, definitely brilliant. There are some low points: Your Love Alone Is Not Enough seems genetically engineered to annoy the faithful old fans, and Underdogs sounds like your uncle trying to impress an emo by playing him old Black Sabbath records.
“ I guess we’ll have to test / Until there’s nothing left”
- Indian Summer
But it opens with an eponymous belter, and the later tracks show Nicky getting better at what he has been trying to do since Richey left: Imperial Bodybags and I’m Just A Patsy not only rock, but the lyrics have a seamless blending of the personal and political that Nicky has never managed before.
“What happened to forever?”
- The Second Great Depression
Perhaps the standout track is the also the most frustrating. The Second Great Depression is filled with New Adventures In Hi-Fi-era guitars, which is what a band like the Manics should be doing right about now. They pull it off brilliantly, even throwing in a traditional Manics-style chorus. But, apart from the equally good Indian Summer, they look down this path and choose not to take it, instead trying to rock as if they were still arrogant teenagers from Wales.
“Oh God, I sound just like a liberal”
- Rendition
Oh, and then there’s Autumn Song.
“Wear your love like it is made of hate / Born to destroy and born to create”
- Autumn Song
The Manics really have no right to write a song like this. They’re old men in this game, and they’re coming off the back of a disastrous album. Yet there is Autumn Song right in the middle of the album, with its enormous chorus that is designed simply to fill a stadium. They expect to be playing this song to packed arenas, which is a bit of an assumption.
“I need an angel from above”
- I’m Just A Patsy
But that’s the Manics. Still hoping to sell 16,000,000 copies and break up.
“Nothing’s finished, it just fades away / Like a lover who has lost her faith”
- Imperial Bodybags
There’s one last thing you notice about the album, as the hidden track plays out, a version of John Lennon’s Working Class Hero. The brevity is amazing. The Manics are a band who’ve never known when to shut up, but Send Away The Tigers only lasts for 38 minutes.
“Winter lovers / Winter trees / The beauty of / Dead industry”
- Winterlovers
Is it a return to form? Is it an answer to those lingering questions? Probably not. But it is the best album that the Manics have done since Richey left.
“You’re still fucking peasants as far as I see”
- Working Class Hero

Send Away The Tigers - Manic Street Preachers (Released May 2007)

Within the first few seconds of the opening title track,it is already sounds like a completely new band to that who made the confused Know Your Enemy (2001) and unsure sounding Lifeblood (2004). Send Away The Tigers barely relents from the moment the guitars crank in on said title track to end of secret track Working Class Hero. It bursts with spirit,so much so that lead singer James Dean Bradfield is often out of breath by the time he reaches the chorus.

The lyrics too have a new political focus in places,similar to the Manics of yesteryear, on tracks such as Imperial Bodybags and Rendition. Whether this is successful is a matter of judgement,and the less said about Autumnsong the better. The lyrics also seem to reflect the band coming to terms with themselves,with thoughts about their newly rediscovered popularity and success (Indian Summer) and an ode to the devoted fans (Underdogs). The almost militaristic riffs that chug along underneath the lyrics make everything sound much bigger than it is; as well as a good dose of strings.

Whether this is a return to form (with a number 2 chart position) or just a return to the commercial radio friendly formula of previous albums Everything Must Go (1996) and This Is My Truth Tell Me Yours (1998) which many fans dislike,remains to be seen. However,from listening to this,the band has come alive again,feeling better than ever - and that can only be a good thing.

Best track: The Second Great Depression

Grade: A-

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.