Pro wrestling maneuveur.

The Senton Bomb is devastating enough to be used as a finisher, but in these days of 450 degree Shooting Star Sharpshooter Rock Bottoms, is the sort of move that would be best described as 'high risk offence'.

Performed from the top turnbuckle, the Senton Bomb is nothing more than a jump, landing upon your opponent in a sitting position, buttocks first.

In his ECW days, Bubba-Ray Dudley used the Senton to great effect, often through tables.

Interesting misnoma: As the Hardy Boyz gained popularity and Jeff began to use his somersault splash as one half of the team finisher, Jim Ross called is as a 'Senton Bomb'. The name stuck until, after some discussion amongst the internet smarts on the subject (and undoubtedly amongst the boys backstage too), the move was renamed the Swanton Bomb (like a swan dive, i guess, you do the math).

I was pondering the name Senton Bomb, when I had a sudden epiphany.

Did the move start out in the 90's during the heyday of high-flying Japanese wrestlers? If so, Senton Bomb makes sense, since it would mean:

  • "Sen" means 1,000
  • "ton" means ton, as in 2000 lbs.
  • "bomb" means "bomb" in "Japanese" too.

So it is a natural Japanese English name for a wrestling move that doesn't quite make sense in American English. And another wrestling move name that has a peculiar Japanese name, like "lariat" for clothesline, and "moonsault" for... hey, that's a Senton Bomb too, right?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.