Waiting in line at the finance department the other day with nought but random thoughts to keep me company I decided to check out E2 on my phone.

I have long held the belief that screens on these devices are made for uninterrupted reading times of maybe 10 or 15 seconds. Stretch that and soon your eyes will be begging you for deliverance from this self inflicted torture. This is partially the reason why SMS's are restricted to 160 characters (the other being so that people could come up with elite ways of spelling words).

"cu l8r @ pops", anyone ?

Just the thought of staring at such a small screen while pressing the joystick down every 5 seconds or so is infuriating enough to never warrant any serious reading on the phone. Just the quick run through the contact list or the odd message or two will do quite fine, thank you. Overstep the limit and the warranty is voided.

It never quite does work this way, does it ?

Trouble is, I kinda liked what I saw. Well enough to justify innumerable returns whenever I caught myself getting bored. With the page formatting perfectly in the inbuilt browser, navigation was a lark and reading too wasnt quite the pain I had imagined it just some time ago. Suddenly I was all over the place - Daylog / Dream Log / Editor Log / Page of Cool and begging for more. With dirt cheap access charges, the last thing I was worried about was a month end bill which I wouldnt be able to pay (as happens too often).

Now if only I could get this damn joystick to stop acting up every now and then so that I can get back to my reading.... on the small screen.

When in Sydney....

Tonight my significant other and I were going to meet one of the Sydney noders, the venerable Kalen. Unfortunately the poor man had to jump last minute into a plane taking him to LAX to attend a wedding or two, so he organised us UncleM to stand in for him. Supposedly meeting at 19:30 at Prasit's Northside on Crown, a wonderful Thai restaurant, we of course missed UncleM twice, as we were expecting the different phenotype of Kalen. But after I switched on my booming voice shoutinng for Kalen, the Uncle finally revealed himself to us and off we went:

Prasit's Northside on Crown is a small take away with some added seats upstairs and specialises in Sydney Thai cuisine. Wonderful. The cramped and loud surroundings were fun to be in and were a nice change to the serene and elegant atmosphere at Sneff's Joint.

Over Red Duck Curry, Prawns and Turmeric Vegetable Curry we talked about the fact that "coding is godly", this place and Sydney. UncleM was not only a gentlemanly and knowledgeable noder, he also had a wonderful dry sense of humour, which he decided to continue to provide us with at a bar just around the corner.

Happily filled with Thai food and slightly tipsy we bid our goodbyes.

Thanks for having us, UncleM.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.