An 8-voice polyphonic analog synthesizer with a 76-note keyboard, released in 1983.

The T8 uses 16 CEM 3340 chips for the 2 VCOs per voice. 8 CEM 3372s contain the 4-pole resonant low-pass VCFs and the 2*ADSR VCAs. The VCFs have controls for cutoff, resonance, env amount and keyboard tracking.

The most notable feature of T8 is the keyboard. There are 76 full size weighted keys with velocity and aftertouch. The latter can affect pitch, level, filter or the LFO. Available modes for the keyboard are split/layer & double/unison.

Other features include a simple 670-note real time sequencer, 128 user programmable patches and full MIDI support. Unfortunately the T8 didn't sell too well due to the popularity of the much cheaper Yamaha DX7. T8's are nowadays quite hard to find and cost around 2000USD.


back to Sequential Circuits

The T-8 was one of the only synths for many years to feature polyphonic aftertouch. The T-8's keyboard unit is reputed to be one of the best ever made; New England Digital bought T-8 keyboard modules from Sequential and used them on their Synclavier, which contributed greatly to its popularity. Legend has it that the expense of manufacturing the T-8's keyboard was a major factor in Sequential Circuits' loss of profitability.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.