Sergei Fedorov is a center for the NHL's Washington Capitals (he formerly played for the Detroit Red Wings, Anaheim Ducks and Columbus Blue Jackets). He was born on December 13, 1969 in Pskov, USSR. Before he came to the NHL, he played for the Soviet Red Army national hockey team, on a line with fellow superstars Pavel Bure (since retired from the NHL) and Alexander Mogilny (also retired).

Sergei was drafted 74th overall in 1989. As with many early Soviet players, he came to the NHL in an interesting way. The Red Wings wanted him to leave the USSR and come to the NHL, but the USSR didn't allow players to play in the NHL, so he had to decide whether he was going to defect or not. When the Soviet team was in Seattle for the Goodwill Games, rumor had it that teammate Dmitri Khristich (now retired; formerly of the Washington Capitals) was going to attempt to defect, and Sergei knew that if this happened, he wouldn't be able to leave, so he left his hotel room and snuck into an elevator, walked briskly through the lobby, into a taxi to SeaTac, and then onto a plane bound for Detroit.

Sergei has received a few honors since he started playing in the NHL. In 1990, he was runner up for the Calder Memorial Trophy (rookie of the year). In 1993-94 he won the Frank J. Selke Trophy (best defensive forward), Hart Trophy (MVP) and the Lester B. Pearson Award (an MVP award which is awarded based on votes from the players themselves). In 1995-96, Sergei won the Selke again.

Sergei's career highs are as follows: 56 goals (1993-94), 68 assists (1995-96), and 120 points (1993-94). Sergei was a member of the Detroit Red Wings' famed Russian Five line, which included Fedorov (center), Vyacheslav Kozlov (left wing, with the Atlanta Thrashers as of 2006), Igor Larionov (right wing, now retired from the NHL but active in the management of the Russian Super League), Vladimir Konstantinov (defence), and Viacheslav Fetisov (defence).

Fedorov signed with the Anaheim Ducks after the 2002-03 NHL season, and after spending two-plus years there, he was traded to the Columbus Blue Jackets early in the 2006-07 season. Then he was dealt in a mid-season trade to the Washington Capitals, who were seeking a Russian-speaking mentor for their young star, Alexander Ovechkin. He will most likely retire before playing for another NHL team, as he is closing in on his 40s.

He and tennis non-star Anna Kournikova were briefly married in the early 2000s. She was his date to the 2002 Stanley Cup victory parade down Woodward Avenue in Detroit.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.