Sewing is the ninth of the 39 Melachot that are prohibited on Shabbat. It includes all forms of sewing and needlework.

Pasting, taping and stapling paper are also prohibited. Thus, one may not seal an envelope nor attach a postage stamp on the Sabbath. Fastening something with a safety pin, however, is permitted, since this is only a temporary fastening.

<< Prev Full Next >>


Most of this information is taken from the book "SABBATH Day of Eternity" by Rabbi Aryeh Kaplan, published by NCSY. In the book itself, there are notes that refer the reader to detailed footnotes. I am lucky to have found such a clear, concise manual with these brief overviews of laws so vast and complex there are Rabbis that specialize in them.

The act of pulling something long and thin through something else, in an attempt to join or embellish the other thing. Usually refers to thread through fabric, but is also used for leather, clay, and various other materials.

Sew"ing (?), n.

1.

The act or occupation of one who sews.

2.

That which is sewed with the needle.

Sewing horse Harness making, a clamp, operated by the foot, for holding pieces of leather while being sewed. -- Sewing machine, a machine for sewing or stitching. -- Sewing press, ∨ Sewing table Bookbinding, a fixture or table having a frame in which are held the cords to which the back edges of folded sheets are sewed to form a book.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.