Shampoo Planet chronicles six months in the life of Tyler Johnson, an ambitious, conservative twenty year old who was raised in a hippie commune. This includes a trip to Europe, breaking up with his girlfriend, starting a new relationship... but what the book really is about is presenting a snapshot of popular culture in the U.S. of the early nineties.

A reviewer of Cosmopolitan wrote about it: "Nobody has a better finger on the pulse of the twenty-something generation, and not since the great writing days of Woody Allen has anyone been more hilarious and quotable." So, here are my favourite Shampoo Planet quotes:

Meeting Anna-Louise was like finding a stranger's shopping list on the mall floor and realizing there are other, more interesting diets than your own. It was the first time I ever felt incomplete.

If two planets the size of earth were placed next to each other, say, only a mile apart, their respective gravities would cancel each other out in between.

The whole scenario reminds me of the adage that World War Three will be fought with nuclear weapons and World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.

What does this clustering mean -- has an asteroid punctured the roof? Are the kitchen walls bleeding? And if so, exactcy *where* is the Channel Six News Team?

I mean, I'm all for self-expression, but keep your expression to yourself, please.

"God, I wish they'd install urinals in the ladies room," says Gaïa, as we arrive at the tables. "At chest height. So when you did the *one-two-three purge* you wouldn't always mess the knees of your panty hose on the bathroom floor."

In periods of rapid personal change, we pass through life as though we are spellcast. We speak in sentences that end before finishing. We sleep heavily because we need to ask so many questions as we dream alone. We bump into others and feel bashful at recognizing souls so similar to ourselves.

The ship's captain announces that we have just crossed an invisible line -- a border -- into Canada. Stephanie and I peer into the boat's wake, dumbly, expecting to see a dotted line.

I remember reading of an F-16 fighter jet with a computer-software glitch that made it flip upside down when crossing the Equator; I want to know the software secrets encoded deep within *my* cells.

The kids are wearing T-shirts with molecules printed on them: LSD, chocolate, testosterone, valium, THC, and other mood-altering chemicals. ... "Does MTV have a molecule?" I ask. "What's MTV?" Neil replies. "I don't like designer drugs."

Thanks to jessicapierce who was able to verify that "Coupland" is in fact pronounced like "Copeland".

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.