One of the world's leading aquariums, located in Chicago, Illinois, on the shores of Lake Michigan.

Named for its original benefactor, John G. Shedd, the aquarium first opened to the public in 1930. One of the most popular exhibits is an amazing caribbean reef, which holds 90,000 gallons of water. It is inhabited by over 70 species of animals, including sharks, stingrays, and eels. The fish and other animals in this enclosure are hand-fed five times a day by a diver who narrates the interaction to onlookers.

Another impressive exhibit is the Oceanarium complex, which recreates the experience of walking through a northwestern U.S. forest to the shore of the Pacific Ocean. The vast main tank can be viewed from above, and behind it through panoramic windows seamlessly stretches the great lake. The huge tanks in the Oceanarium house beluga whales, seals, dolphins, and sea otters.

Penguins and seahorses have their own special enclosures, and the newest feature at Shedd is an Amazon River experience. Exploring the rest of the underwater exhibits makes for a fascinating day of discovery.

To see photos and get directions, go to www.sheddnet.org.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.