The name for what in the western world is known as ki-aikido.

As the Aikido O Sensei Morihei Ueshiba died, a divide between the traditional Aikikai and the teaching principles of Koichi Tohei Sensei became more and more evdient. The conflict was raised to its point as Koichi Tohei Sensei started Ki no Kenkyukai. He started this since his teaching methods met hard resistance within the other leaders of the Aikikai.

His teaching methods where strongly influenced by the Unification thoughts by Tempu Nakamura, a yoga teacher who founded the Tempukai in 1919. Tempu Nakamura called his practice Shin Shin Toitsu Do (Way of Mind and Body Coordination).

As the tensions grew unbareable Koichi Tohei Sensei resigned from Aikikai and added Shin Shin Toitsu Aikido (Aikido teached according to Ki Principles) as a part of the arts in Ki training taught at Ki no Kenkyukai. These arts include Aikido, Ki Development exercises, Ki Breathing, Ki Meditation, Kiatsu Ryoho (massage therapy) and various forms of Misogi.

The purpose of all these is to unify mind and body so that a person develops the ability to allow the flow of universal Ki in everyday life.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.