Shirley Corriher is a food scientist and the person who many of the famous in the world of food preparation turn to when they are stumped about the hows and whys of cooking.

A graduate of Vanderbilt University, Shirley and her former husband ran a boarding school called Brandon Hall for eleven years. Shirley spent those three years cooking three meals a day and getting a good deal of practical experience in the kitchen. She later taught others to cook and became famous for her quick wit and voluminous knowledge about the hows and whys of cooking.

Corriher has published one book called Cookwise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Cooking and it is a must for any kitchen. It answers such age old questions as will a copper bowl really help you to whip egg whites ( the answer is yes; it has to do with ions) and gives you a blow by blow account of which fat to use in your cookies to get the desired result, whether it is butter for flat and crispy or shortening for fat and chewy). The book makes for easy reading for the serious chef or the casual cook. It will be followed up this year with a second book called Bakewise, which will attempt to unlock the mysteries of baking.

Corriher keeps very famous company in the culinary world. She worked with the late chef and teacher James Beard and also works with such giants as Julia Child. She has been a semi-regular on Alton Brown's Food Network show Good Eats and has appeared on any number of other Food Network programs.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.