"If you ain't come to get high, then you ain't come to party!"

Shonuff is a Pittsburgh area based funk/rock band. It was formed in 1996 when vocalist Gene Walker, bassist Cliff Foster, drummer Jason Grew, guitarist Mike Sellman and percussionist Jay Constable got together after playing in high school. They won the '96 Jam Slam competition of the bands, and were finalists in the 1998 Graffiti Rock Challenge.

Shonuff is a live band at heart. Their first CD, recorded in 1998, ”The Sho Must Go On” felt awkward to listen to, even to them. Something about a studio recording didn't feel right to their creative juices. In late 1999, they recorded several of their old songs, along with some new ones for their incredibly groovy 2nd CD, “Are We Live?” The CD was recorded live at Nick's Fat City, with the singer sick, and with no song retakes. The fact that the CD is excellent all the way through is a testament to the groove these guys have.

I have been to one of their club shows, and it was an incredibly enjoyable experience. The highlight of the show I went to has to be their rendition of “Let's Get it On” by Marvin Gaye, which I embarrassed my friend when I made her dance with me, all alone on the dance floor. They are friendly guys, and Gene Walker, the lead singer, talked with me about being from Pittsburgh after the show, just hanging out in the crowd (the concert was in Cleveland). They have an incredible rhythm and beat, the kind that makes you get up and dance. The CD is well worth whatever you have to pay for it, I paid $10.

Shonuff - Are We Live?

5AM Records, 1999
  1. Headcheck
  2. Move On
  3. Spectrum
  4. Atmosphere
  5. Booty Song
  6. Don't Bother
  7. Right Now
  8. Who Got It?
  9. Always on the Run (written by Lenny Kravitz)
  10. Fear No One
  11. F.N.I.C.
  12. Real Man

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.