This is something I would consider myself to suffer from.

It happens all the time. At uni, at work, at home, when I'm out. Sometimes I think it's a side-effect of the dope I occasionally smoke. Other times I try and think back to school (before I even tried dope) and realise I suffered from it then (I think - and I'm quite serious about not being able to remember if I suffered from it - which sounds really bad, as I read that sentence back to myself). Today at work for example, I was being shown a machine that fills test tubes with a dark wax (I'm fairly new to the job y'see), they were trying to explain how it worked. Apparently there are 3 settings, and you need to know which ones to use for different test tubes. I was doing my best to concentrate, and take all the information in, but I couldn't. After the person who was explaining it went away, about 10 seconds later, I had to go and ask them again what to do. It was agony. I'm making myself look stupid just because my brain doesn't have the extra capacity past the words to bloody Pantera and Slayer songs, dates for concerts etc.

They say that taking dope causes short term memory loss, but I know quite a lot of other people that take it a hell of a lot more than me, and one person I know can quote complicated physics formaulae whilst stoned. That is pissing me off.

I'm wondering if there are any herbal remedies, or anything I can do to improve my memory/assertiveness (aside to replying to those awful advertisements from people who claim to be able to memorise the order of 4 packs of playing cards.

Short-term memory loss may be due to a multitude of factors that include smoking dope, but this is not the only cause. Other prescribed drugs may severely impair memory and these include most drugs in the Benzodiazepine class such as Valium(R) containing Diazepam.

Most cases (that may not be clearly attributed to underlying disease)seem to be transient in nature and recur erratically. Many causes have been attributed and minor ones such as hypoglycaemia (low blood sugar) because you've skipped breakfast may easily be remedied by a chocolate bar of other rapid sugar/carbohydrate source. Insufficient sleep is another common cause and one may resort to coffee as a temporary measure, although overdoing coffee will have the reverse effect after some time!

Remedies that claim to help Short-Term memory loss may be based on Ginseng root, and I know many people who swear by this type of remedy.

In Europe a drug by Servier Labs called Arcalion containing Sulbutiamine increases physical resistance to fatigue, neuromuscular efficiency and learning and memory and improves the metabolic functions of the cerebral cortex with resulting improvement in short-term memory. I'm not sure about the trade name in the US or even whether it is available there. Again I know people like my grandmother and a few friends who use it during exam times and who claim to improve mental performance following continous use.

I have tried several rememdies in the past, but I'm terribly sorry that I can't remember whether they were effective or not;)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.