Shut up, you fucking baby!
David Cross
Sub Pop Records
Released November 5th, 2002

I'm going to go to LA and I'm going to show the world what I've got! And they get here and they're just over whelmed. There's a premiere! And there's E!, Entertainment News! And there's, look at this, look at the stars and everything!
And they just know they're going to make it, and then, you know, cut to six months later when it's like:
Ok...just...don't get it in my eye...?
What it is
Shut up, you fucking baby! is a two disc comedy album by David Cross that was released on November 5th on Sub Pop Records. In the spring of 2002, David Cross toured with a band called UltraBabyFat and the album is composed of routines he did on the tour. The first disc is from a show in Atlanta, Georgia and the second disc if from a show in Portland, Oregon. The first disc also includes a short video teaser for the DVD of the tour scheduled to be released in the spring of 2003.

I can't wait until water is like $20 a gallon but we've still got our $1.50 gas...
What to Expect
This album is not what one would call "polished comedy." There are certainly parts of it that are practiced bits but for the most part it has the air of drunken rambling. The liner notes go so far as to acknowledge his intoxication during the acts. The material itself runs the gamut from political to obscene. Some of it is on the verge of adolecsent potty humor and some of it is toeing the line of genius. For those who are familiar with Mr. Show and the related out croppings, you'll recognize many of the voices and characters he does during the course of the album. To some extent, it's the same style of humor but with rough and frayed edges.

And they all have the same fucking Lewinsky jokes that they're still telling, you know, in fucking 2002.
About the Track Titles
In my mind, the choice of track titles is tied for both the Brilliant Marketing Award and the Idiotic Marketing Award. Standing in the record store and reading the track titles, I was put off. I enjoy David Cross and all but the titles made me think he had regressed to doing the most stereotypical stand up in the known universe. "Sex on the Internet!?"? "Monica Lewinsky and the Three Bears"? It sounds like low rent, pap standup fluff. I bought it anyway and I'm glad I did. It turns out that the track titles have absolutely nothing at all to do with the contents of any given track. They are an intentional parody of crappy trite comic routines. On the one hand, this is probably a good way of getting people who're looking for more Austin Powers impressions and Monica Lewinsky jokes to buy the album. On the other hand, it runs the risk of frightening off part of their main audience. Either way, it was an interesting decision and it's amusing to read the track names while listening to the albums.

Disc 1
  1. Lunch with Frankenstein
  2. Austin Powers saying "Yeah Baby"
  3. "You Go, Girl"
  4. Phone Call from a Cranky Terrorist
  5. Sex on the Internet!?
  6. Spiderman vs. Batman vs. Wonder Woman on the Rag
  7. Shaving the Pope's Pussy
  8. Monica Lewinsky and the Three Bears
  9. Fake Tits/Real Beer

Disc 2
  1. My Wife's Crazy!
  2. Flying on a Mexican Plane
  3. Abortion Doctor from Hell!
  4. Socks and Shoes
  5. My Daughter's First Date
  6. Diarrhea Moustache
  7. If Baseballs Had AIDS on Them
  8. Goodnight Assholes!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.