Superior side-scrolling shoot 'em up of the old school. Up there in heaven with R-Type.

Originally an arcade title by Temco, the game found it's spiritual home in a superb port to the Amiga 500, where it recieved vast amounts of well deserved praise. As with any decent Amiga title, copied disks of this were flying around the playground like wildfire when I was a boy. Ah, the utterly corrupt innocence of youth.

The game lets you play as either a jeep, with a 180 degree rotating gun and the ability to jump, or a helicopter, which was fast as hell and could, well, fly. The game really got fun when two people stepped up to the ockey, one on jeep and the other on copter. The helicopter player would invariably last longer, as the Jeep was frankly a bit shit. But it was cool anyway. I used to love teaming up against the weird composite helicopter sub-bosses we called goosenecks. Of course, infinite lives cheats were nice, as we were young and lame.

If you've not played this game, imagine a more military version of Revenge Of The Mutant Camels. It was followed up by the arguably superior/inferior (I go for the latter) sequel SWIV, using a top down view that made the jeep unusable as well as crap. Bizzarely, SWIV apparently stood for SilkWormIV (4), but no-one knows what happened to the other two titles.

"Silkworm" is a novel released in May of 2014, and written by Robert Galbraith, a pseudonym for J.K. Rowling. It is the second book in a series of mystery novels featuring Cormorant Strike, who first appeared in The Cuckoo's Calling.

Cormorant Strike is a disabled Afghanistan War veteran who works as a private investigator in London, accompanied by his assistant Robin Ellacott. After the last book's events, he is successful, but chooses to take on the case of a destitute woman whose husband, a man named Owen Quine, an author of surreal literary fiction, has disappeared. Right before disappearing, the author had written a libelous roman a clef that was full of incriminating material on a number of people in London's literary world: authors, editors, publishers and others. The surreal and violent manuscript becomes the key to discovering where Quine has disappeared to, and what his associates may know about it. Along the way, the book also covers the developing relationship between Cormorant and Robin, as well as painting a more detailed picture of the London they live in.

Shortly before starting this book, I had a interesting to me but obvious revelation about the appeal of mystery novels: a mystery novel is a type of game, and can actively engage the reader's attention because the reader is in a way "competing" with the author to see if they can solve the puzzle. Although they didn't follow the usual rules of the genre, the Harry Potter books were mystery novels. The Casual Vacancy was not, which is perhaps why it seems atypical of Rowling's work. With this book, slightly before the final climax, I suddenly "snapped" into a revelation about what was going on, based on a relatively minor clue that I had earlier overlooked, and indeed, I felt like a winner when my suspicions were confirmed.

What this set-up has also allowed Galbraith to do is write a piece of metafiction that isn't wankery. Every mystery novel has two conflicts going on at the same time: between the detective and the criminal, and between the reader and the author. What Galbraith has done here is taken that second conflict and put it into the book: just as we are examining and competing with Galbraith's text to find out what is happening, Strike is examining and competing with the the text of Quine's book. Quine's book has a theme of people switching gender and identities, and there is a question raised about whether Quine really wrote it. All of this seems to be a sly (but not overly self-referential) allusion to the fact that the identity of Robert Galbraith was established to be J.K. Rowling through a similar series of textual interrogations.

Perhaps because of all these layers, I found the book somewhat slower going than I had other Rowling books: it took me two full days to read, because I would often pause after each chapter and try to find out what was going on. In some ways, this book represents a stylistic evolution for Rowling, and I am interested in seeing what direction her writing will go.

Silk"worm` (?), n. [AS. seolcwyrm.] Zool.

The larva of any one of numerous species of bombycid moths, which spins a large amount of strong silk in constructing its cocoon before changing to a pupa.

⇒ The common species (Bombyx mori) feeds onm the leaves of the white mulberry tree. It is native of China, but has long been introduced into other countries of Asia and Europe, and is reared on a large scale. In America it is reared only to small extent. The Ailanthus silkworm (Philosamia cynthia) is a much larger species, of considerable importance, which has been introduced into Europe and America from China. The most useful American species is the Polyphemus. See Polyphemus.

Pernyi silkworm, the larva of the Pernyi moth. See Pernyi moth. -- Silkworm gut, a substance prepared from the contents of the silk glands of silkworms and used in making lines for angling. See Gut. -- Silkworm rot, a disease of silkworms; muscardine.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.