With the advent of the press came a need to report the news to the mass populace. However, sometimes there just isn't "news" left to report.

The "silly season" was coined in Britain in the 1800's. It refers to the August period when there were no parliamentary debates taking place. Newspaper editors were at the end of their wits trying to fill their papers with readable material; material that, of course, was better written and more interesting than their competitors'.

It was during these periods of the year when all kinds of "crazy" stories and opinions would be ventilated; stories of gigantic crops, monstrous births, odd accidents and the like would be plentiful. Columns would be devoted to matters and views that would not at any other time receive consideration. In short, silliness was at a premium.

However, this doesn't mean that good writing didn't occur in the newspapers at this time. The "silly season" was also the best season for satire and witty social commentary, often with a bravado not seen during the rest of the publishing year.

The term is still used by newspaper editors today. In fact, The Guardian newspaper has a whole page on their website devoted to "The Silly Season".


Source: J. C. Hotten's Slang Dictionary (2nd edition), 1902.
It's not for no reason,
That it's called silly season,
When candidates bluster and bellow.
How they preen and then gloat,
And then beg every vote,
Which they think they can wrench from a fellow.

And the air becomes thick,
With each lie and each trick
Which they think will attract new proponents.
And they huff and they puff,
And say all sorts of stuff,
To bring down their loyal opponents.

Yes the ads clog the air,
And each one cries "unfair!!"
Though the citizen is who they're harming.
When politicos shout,
And all reason drown out,
All the while believing they're charming.

But at last the day comes,
When we vote for these bums,
Just to shut up their endless promoting.
Though alas, and alack,
In four years they'll be back,
When next comes 'round the season for voting!!



----

For THE IRON NODER CHALLENGE 5: THE FERROUS FRONTIER

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.