Silver Glen is a natural spring in the Ocala National Forest in Ocala, Florida. The spring is located on State Road 19, about 6 miles north of its junction with SR 40. Its entrance is marked by signs on the east side of the road. Admission is $3 per person.

Two main spring openings feed a pool about 250 feet across. The pool has been contained by some concrete walls and the banks have been modified to form the pool into a rough square shape. One of the springs, in the southwest corner of the pool overall, is a cylindrical shaft, about 15 feat across and 40 feet deep. The second spring, larger than the aforementioned, is about sixty feet from the bank in the left center of the pool. This opening is about 20 ft deep. Water flows through these caverns at the bottom of the pit. A good swimmer can get all the way down and take a look into the caves.

The pool in general about six feet deep. There are a few types of fish that swim around in there. I've seen some striped bass and tilapia in groups, and I've read that there are mullet in the water as well. The pool runs into lakes along the St. Johns River. Visitors to the springs can canoe and paddle out to the lake for about 20 bucks for 3 hours.

The water in the springs is very clear and pretty. If very few people are around, there is a couple of otters who will come out and play around the spring openings.

There are also a couple of mildly interesting hiking trails that go through the woods around the spring. Mosquitoes are a considerable problem around evening time.

A lot of people I've talked to didn't even know Silver Glen existed, and always went to Alexander Springs, about 3 miles away from Silver Glen. Alexander in no way compares. The landscape at Silver Glen is much prettier; it's all grass, whereas Alexander is dirt. The water is cleaner and warmer. In short, Silver Glen is the best outing in the Ocala National Forest.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.