Atari 2600 Game
Produced by: Xonox
Model Number: 99006
Atari Rarity Guide: 7 Very Rare
Year of Release: 1983
Programmer: Uncredited
You are SIR LANCELOT. Astride your winged horse PEGASUS, you set out on a quest to save a poor maiden held prisoner in a castle by a fire-breathing dragon. As you start your journey, winged creatures wil try to kill you, but with your charmed lance and carefull flying by PEGASUS, you can overcome their challenge. You collect points for each creature destroyed and when all are gone you reach the castle and face the dragon. The wily dragon will not fight you directly, for he has seen how you devastated the creatures outside, and beathes its fire at you from behind a magic screen. The fire will not kill you, but will temporarily stun PEGASUS so he cannot flap his wings. Kill the dragon with your lance and you will save the maiden. Once the dragon is killed, you will face new creatures guarding another castle, and these defenders will have heard of your exploits and be more difficult and so will the dragon.

In this odd interpretation of Arthurian Legend you play Lancelot. But not just a normal Lancelot, one with a "flying horse". The game's box calls it a flying horse, but we all know it is a pegasus, and the recently found manual uses that name as well. You fly around, (pretty much aimlessly), fighting giant birds and the random dragon. In truth, this is just not a good game. It may have been a quick reprogram of a another title, (common in the Atari days).

Collectors Information

This game was available by itself on a black cartridge, and it was also sold on an oversize double-ended cartridge along with Robin Hood.

This game is valued at around $40 USD. The double ended version is a bit more uncommon than the standard version. Games with boxes and manuals are worth more.

The first recorded reference to Sir Lancelot in all of Arthurian literature is his appearance as the title character in Chrétien de Troyes romance, Lancelot, written about 1190. This makes Lancelot one of the latest additions to the Arthurian tradition of all the major characters.

Although several scholars have sought precursors to Lancelot in the Celtic sources, the weight of opinion seems to favor the idea that Chrétien fabricated Lancelot as a wholly new character in the Arthurian world. Indeed there is some bit of textual evidence that may suggest Lancelot was created at the behest of Chrétien's patroness, Marie de France, because she wanted a French knight to be the hero of the tale (the name "Lancelot" is rather French sounding, and in later tales he is often known as "Lancelot du Lac," a knight from France).

Lancelot's character and history were much further developed in the French Vulgate Cycle of Arthurian romances. It is telling that whereas in the insular versions of the Arthurian myths the Celtic Sir Gawain was usually the star and was upheld as the greatest of Arthur's knights, in the French romances the French knight Lancelot becomes the main character, bringing French culture and honor to a backward, uncouth Camelot, and ultimately usurping the throne from the Brythonic King Arthur, while the Celtic hero Gawain is reduced to a jealous second fiddle. Thus the figure of Lancelot can be viewed as a bit of French cultural imperialism.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.