Skokholm Island is a small nature reserve 1,5 kilometres (2 miles) off the Pembrokeshire coast, which is at the southwest tip of Wales. The weekly boat departs from Martins Haven, near the village of Marloes. Together with the nearby islands of Skomer and Grassholm, Skokholm forms one of the most important seabird breeding sites in Europe.

Skokholm is made up primarily of Old Red Sandstone, which forms cliffs around the island up to 50 meters (150 feet) in height. On the flat top of the island reside 35,000 pairs of Manx Shearwaters, Storm Petrels, Wheatears, Oystercatchers, Meadow Pipits, Skylarks and large gull colonies. What many of these species have in common is that they nest in burrows, which makes them vulnerable to ground predators. Rats, cats and all other ground predators are absent from Skokholm. The only Skokholm land mammals are the house mouse and the rabbit.

The cliffs hold Puffins, Guillemots, Razorbills, Peregrines and Ravens. Britain's most charismatic crow, the Chough, is frequently present and sporadically breeds here as well. Grey seals inhabit the rocky coasts while porpoises and dolphins are regularly seen passing the island as they are spotted on other British coastlines.

The island with a spectacular scenery and wildlife measures 1,2 by 1,5 kilometres (0,5 by 1 mile). The coastline is much longer than these bare measurements of the island would indicate, because it is heavily indented with bays, coves and inlets. Skokholm is leased to and run by The Wildlife Trust West Wales. It has no inhabitants and only 15 visitors (mainly birdwatchers and artists) per week are allowed. Visitors stay for a week in the Bird Observatory, which has no running water or electricity. During the summer, the National Parks organize guided day walks on some Mondays.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.