A science fiction novel by Greg Bear.

Hard to summarize because it covers so much ground, Slant is as much an exploration of human nature as a novel. The weakest of the three novels set in the Queen of Angels universe, it is still a good read because of the futuristic slang and vivid, detailed picture of the future that are Greg Bear's hallmarks.

The title comes from an Emily Dickinson poem, and also from a piece of free-verse poetry written by Bear himself, which serves as a chapter head near the beginning of the book.

Chronologically, Slant is the second novel in the series, falling after Queen of Angels, and before Moving Mars.

A mnemonic used at my school to remind kids of proper behavior when attending (to) a lecture; it might seem self-evident, but many students with learning disabilities need to have the hidden curriculum pointed out to them…

      S it up straight L isten                A ct interested                            N od occasionally                                  T rack the speaker

My kids find "Nod occasionally" the most humorous of these guidelines, and I get lots of bobbing heads after I introduce this. "Track the speaker" is the least likely to have occured to them; often, they know they should face the teacher, wherever sie goes in the classroom, but they hadn't thought about turning to face classmates when they speak.

Slant (?), v. i. [imp. & p. p. Slanted; p. pr. & vb. n. Slanting.] [OE. slenten to slope, slide; cf. Sw. slinta to slide.]

To be turned or inclined from a right line or level; to lie obliquely; to slope.

On the side of younder slanting hill. Dodsley.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slant, v. t.

To turn from a direct line; to give an oblique or sloping direction to; as, to slant a line.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slant, n.

1.

A slanting direction or plane; a slope; as, it lies on a slant.

2.

An oblique reflection or gibe; a sarcastic remark.

Slant or wind, a local variation of the wind from its general direction.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slant, a. [Cf. dial. Sw. slant. See Slant, v. i.]

Inclined from a direct line, whether horizontal or perpendicular; sloping; oblique.

"The slant lightning."

Milton.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.