You have become nocturnal due to excessive noding or other activities. You have a string of exams at 8 a.m. all the coming week. What do you do?
  1. Stay up all "night" and all "day", then go to sleep at some reasonable hour the next "night." Sounds really good in theory, but you will often decide to take a nap the next afternoon, which may lead to complete chaotic breakdown of sleep cycle integrity.
  2. Go to bed at your accustomed time, say 6 am or so, but wake up at eight. You will feel like shit, but it will trick your body into thinking that this is the time to wake up. Similar problems to strategy one. You must stay awake.
  3. The reverse of strategy one. Sleep for 20 hours or so, whatever it will take to get you back on track. Often requires drugs.
  4. EXPERTS ONLY: Go into "limbo" a state in which you doze for one half hour out of every two hours or so. You never go completely to sleep, but you don't get any more tired, either. You do need to sleep eventually, though. Go to sleep when the time is ripe to reenter normality. I developed this technique during The week of Seven Airports, two train stations, and thirteen time zones. It let me keep my eye on my towel at all times.

    Beware the orange orb!

To aid in the acomplishment of number one and two, make good use of drugs; such as caffeine and ephedrine. As for number three, try valium.

Or you can always try what I do to stay away. Ephedrine, L-Tyrosine (keeps your epinephrine stores full), Caffeine, Siberian Ginseng, Aspirin (destroys the enzyme that breaks down Ephedrine), Gingko Biloba (kills those jitters), all washed down with the most bitter grapefruit juice you can find (the stuff that makes it bitter also breaks down cAMP, which is responsible for the metabolism of caffeine). Your mileage may vary.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.