Here I refer to the red deck type for Magic: The Gathering whose creation is credited to Paul Sligh. It involves paying close attention to mana curves and card advantage during deck building. It was characterized by it's use of "sub-standard" creatures like Orcish Artillery and Ironclaw Orcs, which either had a good power/casting cost ratio, or could kill multiple cards.

While the true Sligh deck was not widely played and was relatively short lived, it had a critical effect on M:TG strategy. By highlighting card-advantage over having a killer card, the Sligh deck changed the way people looked at deck-building.

Once Fifth Edition cycled in, eliminating the potent Lightning Bolt, and Vision introduced the Suq'Ata Lancer and Fireblast, Sligh decks disappeared in favor of Stupid Red Burn.
Stupid Red Burn is another deck type in Magic: The Gathering. IMHO, this is erroneously called a Sligh deck - but the usage is common enough and the deck type popular enough to warrant discussion here. Stupid Red Burn keeps a very low mana curve by using many cheap creatures to quickly overwhelm and damage an opponent, using direct-damage or "burn" spells to finish them off.

The use of the word stupid is because the deck is very easy to play, and is a proven favorite with beginning tournament players. It is also relatively inexpensive to build, since most of the cards are commons. However, while it is easy to play, only an expert can use this deck's full potential.

Dave Price, dubbed the King of Burn, has used SRB to achieve many tournament victories, and has shown that in the hands of a master, this deck is far deadlier than ever imagined.

In my opinion, this deck type reached it's pinnacle during the Mirage/Tempest block. This is a example decklist:

4x Mogg Fanatic
4x Other 1 casting cost creature
4x Fireslinger
4x Mogg Flunkie or Ironclaw Orc
4x Suq'Ata Lancer or Ball Lightning
1x Rathi Dragon

4x Shock
4x Incinerate
4x Fireblast
1x Kaervek's Torch (or other X damage spell)

4x Cursed Scroll

18x Mountain
4x Wasteland

When compared to the Sligh decks that fathered this style, you can see that this type favors a quick kill over utility. At its prime, this decktype would represent at least 50% of the tournament field. This created the same Deck/Anti-Deck environment that was common during the Black Summer, where Necropotence dominated.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.