slim = S = slopsucker

slop n.

1. A one-sided fudge factor, that is, an allowance for error but in only one of two directions. For example, if you need a piece of wire 10 feet long and have to guess when you cut it, you make very sure to cut it too long, by a large amount if necessary, rather than too short by even a little bit, because you can always cut off the slop but you can't paste it back on again. When discrete quantities are involved, slop is often introduced to avoid the possibility of being on the losing side of a fencepost error. 2. The percentage of `extra' code generated by a compiler over the size of equivalent assembler code produced by hand-hacking; i.e., the space (or maybe time) you lose because you didn't do it yourself. This number is often used as a measure of the goodness of a compiler; slop below 5% is very good, and 10% is usually acceptable. With modern compiler technology, esp. on RISC machines, the compiler's slop may actually be negative; that is, humans may be unable to generate code as good. This is one of the reasons assembler programming is no longer common.

--The Jargon File version 4.3.1, ed. ESR, autonoded by rescdsk.

Slop (?), n. [OE. sloppe a pool; akin to As. sloppe, slyppe, the sloppy droppings of a cow; cf. AS. slpan to slip, and E. slip, v.i. Cf. Cowslip.]

1.

Water or other liquid carelessly spilled or thrown aboyt, as upon a table or a floor; a puddle; a soiled spot.

2.

Mean and weak drink or liquid food; -- usually in the plural.

3. pl.

Dirty water; water in which anything has been washed or rinsed; water from wash-bowls, etc.

Slop basin, ∨ Slop bowl, a basin or bowl for holding slops, especially for receiving the rinsings of tea or coffee cups at the table. -- Slop molding Brickmaking, a process of manufacture in which the brick is carried to the drying ground in a wet mold instead of on a pallet.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slop, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Slopped (?); p. pr. & vb. n. Slopping.]

1.

To cause to overflow, as a liquid, by the motion of the vessel containing it; to spill.

2.

To spill liquid upon; to soil with a liquid spilled.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slop, v. i.

To overflow or be spilled as a liquid, by the motion of the vessel containing it; -- often with over.

 

© Webster 1913.


Slop, n. [AS. slop a frock or over-garment, fr. slpan to slip, to slide; akin to Icel sloppr a thin garment; cf. OHG. slouf a garment. Cf. Slip, v. i.]

1.

Any kind of outer garment made of linen or cotton, as a night dress, or a smock frock.

[Obs.]

Halliwell.

2.

A loose lower garment; loose breeches; chiefly used in the plural.

"A pair of slops."

Sir P. Sidney.

There's a French salutation to your French slop. Shak.

3. pl.

Ready-made clothes; also, among seamen, clothing, bedding, and other furnishings.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.